Everyone has a different opinion on just what the 64-65 Hemi motors would be called. Could you order a Nascar Hemi Motor in 64 and just what was the complete differences between a Nascar motor and a Race Hemi Motor.If there was only one motor you could order then it should only be called a hemi or its number designation. 1965 did Chrysler build any Nascar Hemis or was the build Drag strip oriented. Chrysler built 64 and 65 Hemi cars with exhaust, to meet the numbers of sanctioned bodies wanting so many built. So what I am saying if you build a car with exhaust and all other safety features for that year then it is a street car no matter what intake, compression, front end type, etc. went into or on the car. In 1968 there was a difference, with the Hemi A Bodies but the safety features on these cars would not pass the Government exams for the street and maybe Chrysler learnt a lesson from 1964-65 making them not legal for the street. Chrysler never offered a variety of Hemi motors to the public except in 1968 an only one Hemi Motor in the A body, like they did with the Max Wedge. Chrysler really only offered a complete package vehicle when ordering a Hemi Car.

Scott I have heard this story of the first 1964 Hemi built for public sale and it very well could be a real deal if you look at it their way.

This reminds me of the recent build we are doing on the Z28 Camaros. Hendricks has bought the first saleable Z28 Camaro but there have been a lot of other Z28s built at the Camaro plant before his. If these other Z28 Camaros make it to the public and they usually do if they are not crach vehicles, what distinction would one put on these other Z28s. I say this because did any of the first Nascar Hemi cars built make it to the public. Is not a free 1964 Hemi Car going to Landy or the Ramchargers or some Nascar Racer the first cars no matter if money was exchanged or not.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY