Wiring scared me too. For years I would never do anything but an engine bay wiring harness. But then my ignition wire fried through the firewall and under the dash. It was either have someone do this for me for who knows how much money or figure it out. I figured to do it right, get rid of the entire 30 yr old harness. Why leave other weak links behind?

I had a wiring diagram already. Bought a Dash Harness from a repro shop that was exactly like the orig for $650. New engine harness was around $100. I spent 3-4 hours per night over the next week slowly pulling out the harness and taping/labeling both ends. Then I laid out the new harness and taped it up for installation. It took a week and about 20 hours. But I figured it out and became quite good at reading the wiring schematic in the end. It's only DC power after all with 2 wires per component. The only issue I had was with the main connector plug into the firewall. I got my mechanic to come over and help me out for 30 minutes on that. I didn't do anything inside the steering column though...just up to the horn relay and blinkers. The cause of my "fry" job was some poor soldering some bozo did on the ignition wire as it entered the main plug. They could have properly replaced the wire instead of trying to solder weak strands together. The solder cracked and formed a high resistance connection....then came smoke and fire.

In the end I was sort of surprised how technically simple the task was. It was just very time consuming and required attention to detail. I was a lot younger, more flexible, and with better vision when I did that job. Would be a lot more time consuming today. Doing the mods you suggested raises it to another level.