Stories like these always make me chuckle. You all probably know at least one guy who'll chattle on about how back in the day, the factory would do anything. Perhaps at Chrysler, a dealership with enough clout, and a buyer with enough cash - absolutely they could get whatever they wanted.
Chrysler was a large enough company that I'm sure they could pull this off.

I get told all the time that AMC was the same way. These tales are hard to sit through as I personally know several former Kenosha plant workers. They tell me that any deviation on the line screwed EVERYTHING up. As a time-saving measure, they would pre-assemble sub-assemblies such as engines and certain engine/tranny combos.

There is one such gentleman "out there" that loves to cluck about how he has the ONLY Non-Power Steering 401 Javelin AMX. He tells the story of how the factory sent him numerous letters stating they could not build the car to such specifications. (ALL 401 cars have Power steering. 401's were assembled with the pump attached.)

I'd be willing to bet toes or testicles that Kenosha shipped a Power Steering Javelin to the dealer either with a spare column & box in the trunk or with a letter attached saying "Go Nuts". There's probably a six-cylinder Javelin somewhere that now has power steering but shouldn't have!

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....