Now that my motor build is about done, I began second guessing my decision to stick with my .557 mopar cam & maybe swap in a Lunati 60341 or 60342 cam. I decided to take a close look at the Mopar "Fading Color" magazine cam test article from a few months ago. I built a chart of the specs and results & found it pretty telling. Looking carefully at the results I spotted some inconsistencies in the way the specs were advertised in the article. Bottom line, the MP .557 & .590 cams fared well given their age, I think I will stick with my original plan. One of the first things that stands out is that comparing most of the cams of the article to the .557 cam was like comparing apples and oranges as most had way more duration and lift. Also, after giving the cam vendors free reign to spec any custom grind they wanted, only one manufacturer really outperformed the old .590 MP grind. I realize every motor combo responds differently to varying cam parameters, but this was still a pretty telling test.(See attached PDF).

7899803-Cams.pdf (409 downloads)

'68 Bee 383/TF/Factory Air...high school sweetheart
'67 GTX Clone project,500 six pack,Hemi4-speed,Dana
05 Dodge Viper, 505 V-10, 6-speed Tremec