The Satellite

The backstory: The cast crank 440 was built 15 years ago by famed Oklahoma Stock/SS racer and engine builder Jimmy Lewis. He put the 66 Satellite together for his son to drive, and it served that purpose for 10 years until he finally gave it back to his Dad. If you know anything about NHRA Stock Eliminator engine builders, well you know that the straight story is never going to be told. So when Dale purchased the car 3 years ago, Jimmy told him, "It's just an old 440 I threw together out of parts I had laying around the shop, it's like a 450 lift crane fireball cam, and honestly I can't believe it's still running!"
Dale had it for a year, and swapped the stock dual plane for an Edelbrock Torker II, leaving the same 700DP in place. He noticed that the 452 heads had the exhaust crossovers filled with aluminum, I noticed when I changed valvecovers, that it had 2 distinctly different looking valve spring sets, sprinkled in randomly on the two heads. If I tried to tell you any other specs about the engine, I'd just be guessing, because we've never been in it!

Ignition: MP Chrome box, Blaster II, MP elect. Dist, Taylor wires.

Fuel system: Stock tank, stock 5/16 line, Holley mechanical street pump, Teed line to N20 fuel solenoid.

Trans: 727 with Transgo #2 Shift kit, 2200 HS stock converter.

Cooling: Champion 22" Aluminum radiator, rigid fan, stock water pump, trans cooler in front.

Rear end: 8 3/4, stock axles, 489 case 3.55 sure grip.

Chassis: stock, Hemi leafs, welded in subframe connectors.

Rolling Stock: 15 X 4 Centerline Convo-Pros with 215/70 radials in front, 15 x 8.5 Centerline Convo-Pros with 255/60 M/T Drag Radials on rear.

Curb Weight: 3715 without driver at Heartland Park Topeka scales.

Power Adder: NOS Big Shot plate

Driver: Billy Gebhart

Class Entered: Daily Driver

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines