Quote:

Quote:

If you are sure there are no issues in the overdrive section (e.g. problem with the direct clutch) then it's likely at the input end. Possibly a problem with the input spline on the new converter or an issue with the input shaft itself.

I'm thinking exactly as you on the direct clutch in the OD unit possibility. No direct clutch means no go....If he's got servo pressure then the pump must be doing something.

I thought about the direct clutch but I dont believe it will cause his problem because there is an overrunning clutch in the overdrive unit that holds if the direct clutch slips. It is there so you dont get and rpm flare on the 3rd to overdrive shift when the direct clutch lets go and overdrive clutch comes in.
I had a problem once where the 518 trans would slip in reverse but not drive and it had just been rebuilt by one of our techs. I found out he left a disc out of the direct clutch but it did not slip in drive just reverse because the overrunning clutch held in drive and in reverse it does not hold of course as the power goes thru just the direct clutch. It so happened this trans had updated parts and called for one more clutch disc but the tech did not count how many disc he took out and put back what the manual said as the update was a TSB. Ron