Quote:

Yes, they get hot. That's why Ma Mopar installed ECU "standoffs" on some models. My old Mirada ECU was mounted directly on the fender apron, and I burned through one or two stock ECu's. The orange box on our old Monaco got hot enough to melt the potting material, and it dripped down the firewall.

Sorry, Not trying to steal the thread but I had to post upon reading this. Shortly after getting my Challenger running for the first time in many years I noticed a black goo that had dripped from the ECU and down onto the exhaust. Not sure when it did this as most of the time I've worked on it I have rather poor lighting while trying to start it. When I saw it in the daylight it was solid and hard. Question is, Do I need a new one? It seems to start ok but loads up badly until it warmed up. Carb has a fresh kit in it but it was in really bad shape and I'm not sure the kit fixed every thing; Idle screws had some corrosion on them and I'm not sure of the codition of the seats. Also, I'm sure I probably need new spark plugs, but could a bad ECU cause it not to idle until warm? I don't think the goo has dripped since the first time I noticed it but haven't run it that much; maybe a total of an hour over three or four different occasions. What makes it get so hot now? Age?