Quote:

X2 what CJ said, you're full fielded right now. Do NOT drive it until you solve it & if you have to drive it then pull the reg plug so it ain't charging at all. running the batt down some is FAR less damaging than having 17 volts going thru the system

x3
I drove mine in an overcharging state for a week or two. The high current, and the fact that my electrical system is over 40 years old, caused a lot of damage. Ive had to replace everything in my charging circuit and many components that were fried like the ballast resistor, VR, all wires, bulkhead connector, ignition switch, and there are still other circuits that were damaged by the melted wires in the circuits that I replaced. With most everything replaced now, Im still getting a little too high of current running through the car, so now Im hunting down bad grounds. I've found a few connections and wires that were falling apart and corroded but hidden by rattle can paint. The bad grounds cause more resistance in the circuit which in turn causes higher current (more heat) and voltage drop.

Correct me if Im wrong or not clear enough, but the voltage drop caused by a bad ground(s) will cause the alternator to work harder to support the cars accessories, therefore giving a higher voltage reading.