Quote:

I'll double check at the battery before I do anything. I have a bunch of wiring and such to check as well - never trust the work of an unknown previous owner!

Measure from the alternator charging stud across to the negative battery terminal. This will take all the wiring between the alternator and battery out of the picture. That being said, if your alternator is not well grounded, this will be off (read lower than actual).

To test ground, run ohmmeter leads from negative battery terminal to alternator case...should be very, very little resistance, as in 2 ohms or less. Do the same between the VR case (may need to scrape paint) and the neg battery terminal...also should be very low.

Lastly, with the car running, you can measure with a voltmeter across from the alternator case and neg battery terminal. Any voltage registered here over maybe .5V is too much and would confirm a poor ground. Ideally, you would have a 0V drop here. This is an alternative to the ohmmeter method (ohmmeter is often less accurate). However, if your alternator is at 17V..you are risking your wiring running like that!