Quote:

Skip the Gear Vendors and get a 518.

I'm putting one behind the 440 in my Imperial. Ultrabell has a bellhousing that joins the two. It requires cutting the bellhousing back to the front pump and bolting the new one up.

The transmissions are tough and not much longer than a regular 727. The OD ratio is .69 which is a bit better than the .79 of the GV unit. It's a few thousand dollars cheaper too.

Some people talk about the ability to split gears with a GV but I haven't found anybody who really uses it that way. It's a bit cumbersome to shift it like that.

That may be a possibility as well but more to it than the GV unit. Also would a motorhome have the shorty 727? Not sure if there would be more fitment involved or not. Plus you will need a fabricated tranny cross member Also you have to have a vacuum modulator for the OD/lockup but yes this can be done as well.

I was trying to suggest an easy route. Unless you can fabricate yourself on the cheap, I can see this route getting as expensive as GV unit. That and all the hassle of having to source the transmission, build to handle the 440, cut/replace the bell, fabricate the cross member, install/tune the OD/lockup vacuum control, and then new driveshaft....that's if it can fit in the RV without floor pan mods.

This is a valid route but I wouldn't agree that it's guaranteed cheaper that the GV. I would just think with an RV, you would want 'easy' as opposed to lots of custom fabrication work.