Well, now we have two RRs, at each other's throats. Boys, behave!

I have had ONE mag pickup go bad in around 400,000 miles. I have also had TWO point-style distributors that were unreliable because, as it turned, out, they were worn to the point that the cam had lateral movement and wouldn't open the points all the time. So fuuture posters, don't tell me points are more reliable.

OP, WHY don't you buy a spare mag pickup and keep it in the trunk? It weighs less, costs less, and the distributor on the RB is in the front where you can get at it.

If that doesn't work for you, then troll the 'bay and pick up an Accel or Mallory electronic distributor if you really want to have one in your trunk. I don't trust the off-brand knockoffs, which I'm sure have QC issues.

RapidR may not have answered the question but he brings up a really important point. Getting the ignition curve right is one of the best things you can do for any engine.

To further muddy the issue, I would suggest getting a NEW distributor by a name brand and getting the curve right on it. Then take your current distributor and use it for a spare.

R.

PS: The RB with stock heads usually makes best power at 38 degrees ignition lead.