Quote:

Well for some reason i cant find a new Mopar performance Electronic Distributor on this earth I am going to redo my old unit.
!st where do I get the advance springs that were in the older units when they were new?
Also in my Smothers Brothers super tune video he says I need to put in a stiffer spring for a stable timing. Is there a spring kit out there for the older Dist's?? I know there is one for the newer units to recurve them.
Just to be clear on what I am doing I am going to attempt to weld my slot in my dist and play around with it to get my total timing in.
Also the springs I have in this thing now are so light it fully advances the timing at 500-600 RPMS.
I need the original springs as a starting base or a bit stiffer....

I went through this exercise over the winter. Everyone sells light springs. It depends what kind of curve you want.

I went through the trouble of refurbishing an old Sun 400 distributor machine. It was a huge help sorting through a bunch of different combinations.

My biggest problem is too much compression pressure, coupled with a heavier car, four speed and higher rear gears.

I needed a curve that starts at about 1500 RPM and peaks at 3000 RPM. The amount of mechanical advance will effect the peak. If you limit the mechanical advance by welding the slots, the peak will happen sooner, albeit, at a lower total timing.

I used a combination of springs I got from FBO. They are not exactly the same as stock by as long as they don't bind on the posts, they will work. I used one heavy spring and one light one from the set you can get from summit to service the newer style Mopar Performance distributors. FBO also sells a plate the mount on the pins of the weights. It has 3 sets of slots to limit the mechanical advance from 10 to 18 degrees. It also has holes to lock out the mechanical advance.

Normally the stock heavy spring has a slot to speed the advance up a bit at lower rpm. I find this type of spring doesn't work very well when you limit the mechanical advance. In my case I have mine limited to 14 degrees. If I used the slotted spring, it would use up the slot and never get into the spring.