Quote:

I just had my TTI headers re-ceramic coated by local company who makes and sells headers.

The issue is that the ceramic coating is falling off the upper tubes where they meet the heads.

You can just rub your hands across the tubes and it flakes off.

I paid extra to have them first shoot in silver and then in black as they required for dong the black finish.

I just called them and the owner said it's due to my carburetor being getting far to rich and running to hot.

I disagreed as #1 the header never did that with the factory coating and I just had it checked by the guy who tuned the carburetor last time and his meter showed it was not too rich running.

I told them this but they still insist the header tubes are getting too hot and it's not their problem.

So I think it is their fault somehow for maybe not putting the base coat of silver on first.

Anyone have an experiences with this sort of thing? Just wanted to see if their explanation is truthful?

If you post some pics I can likely tell you what’s going on for sure. Is both the black and silver crumbling??? Based on your guys initial description it sounds like he’s a bit mixed up. As someone already pointed out, damage to that area of the primary is from a lean condition, NOT a rich one. I’m not sure what kind of Frankenstein process he’s doing, as most “non bright “ ceramics should be good for close to 2000F and it’s nearly impossible to hurt them. That being said, most failures for “Bright Ceramics” are caused from either a “too rich” or “too lean” condition. Both are equally BAD…. Too lean will cause failures between the head and mid primary. Too rich is from mid primary to the collector.

It appears that your coater never gave you any direction as many don’t, but special care is required for ALL bright ceramics. Most important on that list is that you NEVER break in, tune, or dyno an engine with bright ceramic headers. Doing so will put them in the dangerous rich / lean area discussed earlier as you can see below....

7609892-DSCF0147[1].JPG (403 downloads)
Last edited by CCPcoatings.com; 03/02/13 01:20 PM.