Moparts

Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers?

Posted By: MidPenMopar

Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 07:28 PM

I just had my TTI headers re-ceramic coated by local company who makes and sells headers.

The issue is that the ceramic coating is falling off the upper tubes where they meet the heads.

You can just rub your hands across the tubes and it flakes off.

I paid extra to have them first shoot in silver and then in black as they required for dong the black finish.

I just called them and the owner said it's due to my carburetor being getting far to rich and running to hot.

I disagreed as #1 the header never did that with the factory coating and I just had it checked by the guy who tuned the carburetor last time and his meter showed it was not too rich running.

I told them this but they still insist the header tubes are getting too hot and it's not their problem.

So I think it is their fault somehow for maybe not putting the base coat of silver on first.

Anyone have an experiences with this sort of thing? Just wanted to see if their explanation is truthful?

Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 07:41 PM

'Ceramic coating warranty voided in the event of an out-of-tune carburetor'...

Wow...
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 07:55 PM

Quote:

Wow...

TTI warns you of this when you buy their headers.

I screwed mine up by doing this to mine when they were new, wish I would have tuned my 440 with old headers first. I did not have enough timing when I broke in my cam and fried the coating right by the flanges. My bad and am living with it. I actually burnt a hole/ crack in one of my headers, took it off and welded it back up from the cam break in.

Other than that I don't have anything else to add. Good luck Stu.

web page
Posted By: mickm

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 08:08 PM

just had mine done by the same people, (i'm assuming).

i know my engine isn't too lean, so we'll see what happens. mine are silver though, not the second coating of black.

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 08:08 PM

Quote:

Wow...

Really.....??? I can understand if the headers were glowing red from way over richened settings, but if that was true why didnt the original TTI coating fall off ater 10 years of use.

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 08:10 PM

Quote:

just had mine done by the same people, (i'm assuming).

i know my engine isn't too lean, so we'll see what happens. mine are silver though, not the second coating of black.

Yes let me know Mick how they hold up.
Posted By: drew72

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 09:16 PM

The headers wouldn't turn red from a rich condition. That is caused by running lean.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 09:22 PM

CAPS COATING, In Fresno Ca did mine and i love them. $275.00

Attached picture 7608772-Copy(2)ofMyHeaders002.jpg
Posted By: Publicbottle

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 09:34 PM

Can damage to the coatings be caused just during idling? How long does it take to do permanent damage if too rich/lean?
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 09:43 PM

I would assume if it was Real lean they could discolor but mine are open so no real threat there. If you want to talk to the people who did mine call them ask about warranty and details.
CAPS BRITE HOT COATINGS
FRESNO CA TOLL FREE # 877-647-2628
OR www.capsbhc.com

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/01/13 09:56 PM

Quote:

The headers wouldn't turn red from a rich condition. That is caused by running lean.

Yes you are right but I was repeating what i was told by the onwers of the company who did the coating process verbadum.
Posted By: CCPcoatings.com

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/02/13 05:17 PM

Quote:

I just had my TTI headers re-ceramic coated by local company who makes and sells headers.

The issue is that the ceramic coating is falling off the upper tubes where they meet the heads.

You can just rub your hands across the tubes and it flakes off.

I paid extra to have them first shoot in silver and then in black as they required for dong the black finish.

I just called them and the owner said it's due to my carburetor being getting far to rich and running to hot.

I disagreed as #1 the header never did that with the factory coating and I just had it checked by the guy who tuned the carburetor last time and his meter showed it was not too rich running.

I told them this but they still insist the header tubes are getting too hot and it's not their problem.

So I think it is their fault somehow for maybe not putting the base coat of silver on first.

Anyone have an experiences with this sort of thing? Just wanted to see if their explanation is truthful?

If you post some pics I can likely tell you what’s going on for sure. Is both the black and silver crumbling??? Based on your guys initial description it sounds like he’s a bit mixed up. As someone already pointed out, damage to that area of the primary is from a lean condition, NOT a rich one. I’m not sure what kind of Frankenstein process he’s doing, as most “non bright “ ceramics should be good for close to 2000F and it’s nearly impossible to hurt them. That being said, most failures for “Bright Ceramics” are caused from either a “too rich” or “too lean” condition. Both are equally BAD…. Too lean will cause failures between the head and mid primary. Too rich is from mid primary to the collector.

It appears that your coater never gave you any direction as many don’t, but special care is required for ALL bright ceramics. Most important on that list is that you NEVER break in, tune, or dyno an engine with bright ceramic headers. Doing so will put them in the dangerous rich / lean area discussed earlier as you can see below....

Attached picture 7609892-DSCF0147[1].JPG
Posted By: CCPcoatings.com

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/02/13 05:22 PM

Quote:

Can damage to the coatings be caused just during idling? How long does it take to do permanent damage if too rich/lean?

You can damage bright headers in less than a minute if fuel or timing are off far enough.....
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/02/13 05:48 PM

I was going to mention timing.

Break in an engine and see what happens when you have 20-25* of timing at 2500rpm vs 35*. Big difference in exhaust temps and that's on a well tuned engine from the carb side of your equation.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/02/13 06:07 PM

while tuning an engine, yes, you can damage coatings, but remember, this is Stu's numbers matching original motor that's been in the car since the day it left the factory, and has already been previously tuned, by what sounds like, a wideband O2 sensor, so there's pretty much zero chance that his tune caused the coating to fail, unless he changed something else in/on the engine while the headers were off.

I'd be taking the headers TO the guy to show him how they failed--If all this was done over the phone, then he doesn't know what the failure looks like, but does know that off tune ups will damage the coating. If he continues to sing the same song about it being your fault because your tune is off, after he sees the headers in person, then cancel payment on your card, usually you have at least 90 days to do this, sometimes more if you get persuasive with the card company. If you paid by check/cash, then let him know you'll be letting everyone in the mid-pen area know how poor his quality of work is, and how lousy his customer service is after the fact.
Posted By: 74yellowduster

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/02/13 08:01 PM

i would just do them yourself and do them right

http://www.eastwood.com/underhood-engine/exhaust-paints.html

you probably will not get your money back from the baddies even if you sue them.

use the eastwood header paint it lasts like 10 years for many people.

somewhere on their site they have a howto for restoring exhaust manifolds, some of the info there as to what products you can use could be adapted to doing your header project if they are rusty and rough
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/02/13 09:02 PM

I had mine ceramic coated at a place in Belmont. I forgot the name but they cost me $240. If you want I can try to find they name and give them a call for you. 7 years later they still look great.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/02/13 09:04 PM

Pic

Attached picture 7610152-image.jpg
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/02/13 10:59 PM

The coating is junk i got a set of hooker coated headers to prove it it even sent them back had them redone they got less then 50 miles on them no coating left
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/03/13 12:00 AM

they still rust........ warranty void if carb out of tune.. unless its a show car, i think its a waste

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/03/13 07:04 AM

Quote:

I had mine ceramic coated at a place in Belmont. I forgot the name but they cost me $240. If you want I can try to find they name and give them a call for you. 7 years later they still look great.

Hey Ricky that is ACC Plus shop and i would have gone there but the shop i used was only a couple of blocks away so the convience factory was what i choose (Sandersons).

So what i came up with after talking to the gal there was when i pull they engine to do the rebuild (hopefully at the end of the year) they will recoat them at no charge. Guess that's about the best i could expect them to offer anyway.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/03/13 01:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Ricky that is ACC Plus shop and i would have gone there but the shop i used was only a couple of blocks away so the convience factory was what i choose (Sandersons).

So what i came up with after talking to the gal there was when i pull they engine to do the rebuild (hopefully at the end of the year) they will recoat them at no charge. Guess that's about the best i could expect them to offer anyway.

Get that in writting! or the end of the year will come and they'll go "who are you? what are you talking about?"
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/03/13 04:40 PM

Call Brad at Ram Proline in Las Vegas. Here's the link
http://www.ramproline.com/
He'll answer any questions you may have. Brad's coated a few
systems for my brother & myself. Super quality & great price.

Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/03/13 07:33 PM

Quote:

Wow...

I worked at Jet-Hot. For a while & that's the sign of poor prep
They were not wiped down before spray
I sprayed for them back in the 90's part time

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/03/13 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You can damage bright headers in less than a minute if fuel or timing are off far enough.....

That will actually burn it turning it darker & making it feel like 320 grit sandpaper
The peeling on the flange if not discolored is poor prep

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/03/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That will actually burn it turning it darker & making it feel like 320 grit sandpaper
The peeling on the flange if not discolored is poor prep

I think the reason is the company did not first do the sliver coat as they promised. If you wipe away the top coating of black cermaic you can see the bare metal below.

I had them do the rest of the exhaust system in the same black ceramic coating and it is holding up perfectly. Only the areas close to the heads are falling off.

Attached picture 7611592-roadrunnerexhaust004.JPG

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/04/13 08:06 AM

That looks like a bare hand palm print before spraying
Most of the time that comes off when it goes in the beads to be polished
The beads will rub it off but since they're not polished it never happened

Do they offer a wire spray coating in the color you want?
That's good for 2400 degrees+

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/04/13 03:40 PM

Quote:

That looks like a bare hand palm print before spraying
Most of the time that comes off when it goes in the beads to be polished
The beads will rub it off but since they're not polished it never happened

Do they offer a wire spray coating in the color you want?
That's good for 2400 degrees+

I have no idea if they do as i dont know what a wire spray coating is??

Here is another shot on the other side. I rattle canned the top of the pipes just to make it look a little better for now.

Attached picture 7612667-roadrunnerexhaust005.JPG
Posted By: cruzin

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/04/13 08:07 PM

Hi Stu,

Do you know if they ceramic coated the inside of your headers?

I had a set of TTI's that had to be recoated. I spoke to the place who coated TTI's headers. At the time, I learned that not all of their ceramic headers TTI offered, were coated inside.

I had another set of headers coated by Jet-Hot at their Phoenix location. They ceramic coated my headers on the inside. I can't recall if I paid extra or if that was included.

From my understanding not many of the new headers and those offering ceramic header coating automatically do the inside of the headers since it's more costly.

From what I've been told by these places, coating the inside provides an added measure of protection. Of course poor prep, which others have mentioned, may explain the problem that you experienced and not the coating itself.
Posted By: mickm

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/04/13 08:58 PM

yeah stu, GET IT IN WRITING!!!
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/06/13 07:34 PM

Stu,any shop that cares about their reputation wouldn't put out junk like that. I had my turbo manifold Jet-Hot coated over 10+ years ago, driving daily, few instances where my exhaust housing on the turbo was glowing red and the coating still look as good as day one. I suggest finding a shop that specializes in coatings,not selling headers and you won't have a problem with the coating coming off
Posted By: norcalchryco1

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/12/13 06:10 AM

Stu, I had Sanderson ceramic coat my Schumacher headers black. When I bought them I ordered them in bare metal. That might be why they are holding up so well.

I hope they keep there promise and re-coat them later in the year.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Anyone know much about ceramic coating headers? - 03/12/13 03:01 PM

I have had several sets of hedders coated and/or recoated. And man, is there a difference in quality between them. First off, it has been my experience that if the first time failed, they won't do any better on the second.

Second, I have noticed 2 distinctly different surface textures on the ceramic coatings. One is similar to having been painted. It is a little darker than the other, will scratch if you're not careful and the surface is slightly rougher. I have had no luck with this type of coating. It is better than paint, but certainly not worth the cost.

The second is what you get from someone like QC Coatings. It is very smooth and bright. Doesn't look like paint, unless you are talking clear coat. It is just much harder, brighter, and smoother than the other stuff. Night and day difference.

There may be others that have a coating like QC, but I don't want to experiment any more to find out. Sorry to be an advertisement for QC, but they cost about the same as the others, but their quality is head and shoulders above the others I have tried.

© 2024 Moparts Forums