well, it will be 2 years this coming april that i started this project, but i finally got the engine on the dyno today. not bad, not bad at all!

it was a long day, as there were issues with the fuel pump system, so we lost a lot of time, but by the time we made the pull that is in the picture below, i was done.

we did a lot of rejetting, as at first it looked like it was running too lean, but then we figured out it was the fuel delivery. once we got that settled, we ended up back at the original jets, which is what it seemed to like best.

the second to last pull was at 32 degrees of timing, and the HP numbers were all consistently 5 higher than the pull in the picture, which was done at 34 degrees. so 32 degrees it is!

but by then, it was good enough for me!

dino, the guy whose dyno it is, said he had never had an engine on the dyno that drank fuel like this one did!

he also said he had never seen an engine exactly in tune from the start. this is really a testament to tim banning at FHO. i told tim exactly what i wanted, and he put everything together and sent all the pieces out to me. herb, (scatpk), and i both had long conversations with tim about the cam we were looking for, and he ended up doing a custom grind for us.

so i asked tim what jets and metering rods he uses in his engines, and set it all up according to the info he gave me.

it was great! the guys at the shop said they had never seen an engine so in tune, and also put out almost exactly what was expected of it.

750 was what i was hoping for, but i thought 710 was a bit more realistic, and that was the number i had in mind. of course with a little extrapolation, 32 degrees was getting a consistent 5 more hp, so that 712 may have been 717, and it was gaining 4-6 HP/100 rpm, so 6500 at 32 degrees may well be 742! yeah, i know i'm dreaming without real numbers, but i have to say, 712 is good enough for me!

not bad for my first engine!

7553798-IMG_1688.jpg (281 downloads)