Quote:

Quote:

I'm running a locking collar on the distributor shaft to keep the bronze gear from climbing up the cam gear.

How does the locking collar (I use two on my dist drive) help the oil pump/dist grive gear from climbing cam gear when the dist drive is fully seated against the oil pump/dist drive gear?

The first few hours I ran my motor without the collars on the distributor shaft.

I could clearly see that the wear marks on the gear were bigger on the gear teeth than they should be with the gear all the way seated on the bushing. The only way the cam gear could make such long wear patterns on the gear, was if the gear was moving up off the bushing while the motor was running, causing the longer contact marks.

Once I installed the collars(I run two as well), there was no more free play. The bronze gear stayed down on the bushing in the block, and the wear pattern of the gear became smaller/shorter.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)