Quote:

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice so far. I was able to work on the car tonight. I got my 750cfm holley double pumper, built by a pro for my engine. I also have firecore spark plug wires that are brand new, also new autolite 85 plugs gapped correctly. I also swapped my points distributor for a known-good pertronix distributor set up with a performance curve. I fired the car up,and it still will no go over 4,000 rpm. I would hate to think its the heads. This motor is pretty much brand new and has about 1500 miles on it.unfortunetly the place that built it is out of business. You rev it up and it sounds like it's running somewhere, just seems to hit a stop at 4,000 rpm. I did put new pushrods in it, they are the stock length. I do know the motor was decked enough to remove the stampings on the distributor pad. Would that be enough to warrant custom length pushrods? I was told when I purchased the motor to use stock length pusrods. I am running a hudraulic cam with stock stamped rockers. I'm running out of ideas.

Seems like you are going through the elimination process. Before I pulled the heads, I pull off the water pump housing, timing cover and check the timing chain marks.

Could be heads too. Pick your poison. I think checking the timing marks would be less costly in terms of parts.