Quote:

Quote:

[quote I would agree with partially disassembling the engine for inspection. on the other hand, do you have the tools like mic's and bore guage and expertise to measure everything and reassemble it properly on your own? if not it might be a can of worms.

That's really the problem, I have no idea what to look for except nice freshly milled iron and I don't have the tools to check it. Sounds like a good deal if it is what he says it is but you never know for sure.

Can u get someone from the board who is near you to measure the important stuff for you? There are plenty of great guys on here who are normally willing to help.

Also, maybe don't be so skeptical, everyone isn't out to "get you". Lol.

I did the unthinkable. I bought a used engine, unseen, from over 1000 miles away from someone I only spoke to by phone with a description and like 4 pictures. I had a really good feeling about the guy. I paid to have it shipped, with him assisting me on crating it, painted it, swapped a car pan/pickup, and put it in my car. Dialed in the carb and timing, and then drove it over 1100 miles from FL to TX Its still running strong. What kind of gut feeling do you get from the guy. Its a huge plus that he's local.

I'm glad that worked out for you. I am usually trusting also and I like to think there are honest people left out there. But I did what you did...trusted the word of a stranger...and got burned. When I bought my "rebuilt" engine for $1800, he described it as ready to drop in and run. Rebuilt bottom end, heads with only 5000 miles on them, etc. He too was a really nice guy and made all the right noises....really sounded solid. Well, the bottom end was done like he said, but the rest of the engine was little more than scrap metal. If I had tried to start it, all kinds of carnage would have happened. When I called him to ask why he screwed me, he didn't return my call. Shocker.

In any case, I sincerely hope it works out for the OP...