This is on my '72 W200. It was drum/drum, and now it's disc/disc. 2.94" diameter calipers up front, and the Caddy eldorado 2.5" calipers w/ebrake in back. 1.25" diameter disc/disc master cylinder from a '98 dodge. Stock vacuum booster.

The brakes work but they aren't great. I got the SSBC brake pressure kit a while back, and found I only had 800psi at the front calipers with the engine running. Today I tested the master cylinder itself, and I'm getting ~1000psi there. A little better, but still not where it should be. I plugged both ports in the MC and had a rock hard pedal.

The pictured part is the only thing left in the stock brake system. Do I still need it? My FSM refers to a metering valve in disc/drum setups, but doesn't talk about this part for drum/drum applications I'd like to keep the warning light if possible.

Later today I'll pressure bleed everything and see if I can get 1000psi at the calipers, assuming this part doesn't need to be gutted or something else. Then I may look into going with a hydroboost set up to increase the line pressure

7378081-brake_valve.png (189 downloads)
Last edited by hooziewhatsit; 09/15/12 01:24 PM.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.