Quote:

I had the same problem but not as serious as yours. I run a edelbrock 800 carb. I put a carter electric (the low pressure one that don't need a regulator) pump back at the gas tank and isolated it real well so I can't hear it. Completely solved the problem for the most part. Primes the carb before startup when the engine is hot. No more long cranking times.

I was running out of gas on a fuel throttle blast when the car was hot. Bypassed the mechanical pump and solved the problem. I'm thinking that the Mechanical pump actually heated up the fuel and made it more prone to vapor locking.

I did have a filter just before the mechanical pump so that may have exsaperated the problem also.

FOR SURE!

No doubt a properly pumbed electric pump is better at pumping todays gas, But it's not any better at sucking it because gas is very hard to suck, always has been.
So it's tough to get a good delivery volume and gravity in your favor out of a stock tank for a electric, imo.

Now a stock pump can still work with todays gas, but now the motor tune has to be right on so it don't run hot.

And it has to be setup right with no leaks and a properly vented gas tank. I'm guessing that is a problem too, all too often that the fuel pump get's blamed for.

Lastly I do have to admit that both my cars use mechanical pumps with hemi vapor separators with return line through the sending unit. I have burned alot of pump gas all over the country in real hi temps and real high altitudes and have never been let down.

2 weeks ago I was driving my 340 at near wide open throttle for like 3 miles at a time at 120 mph in 85 deree temps at 4600 feet. It never ran out of fuel and I ran the same car at bonneville a couple years ago, even more miles on a 95 degree day with no fuel delivery problems or cooling...at 120 mph.
web page

That's salt and it's everywhere underneath!

Last edited by Challenger 1; 07/01/12 06:49 PM.