Quote:

Congratulations, it worked for you. Probably as strong as original.
This was the subject of an article in Mopar Muscle a few years back, thanks for the reminder.

Do you think you could manufacture small parts with, say, a plaster of paris mold and possibly adding a bit more solvent to your goo? I'm curious.

R.

Hmmmmmmm. Interesting idea. I think so. As far as I can tell, the ABS hardens just as good as the original product once the acetone is gone, which takes a while. I left a good amount in the jar from the first go round just to see what it would do, and because I knew that it would be easier to get out in one big chunk. It hardened to a shiny, hard consistancy just like a plumbing fitting (elbow, coupling etc.). If I knew anything about plaster molds I would probably give it a shot. The limiting factor probably being how big the part is. It would take a lot of shaving and mixing to get an 8 ounce cup going and I don't think you would want to risk filling the mold in more than just one batch.

Scott might be able to address it. He used to work in the injection molded plastic industry. Scott?

Last edited by Big Bad Bee; 06/22/12 02:20 PM.

I’m listening.