We went to Charlotte for the 4-Wide a few weeks ago. An incredible facility, but the place wasn't half full on Saturday. If you go to this one, bring hearing protection, really. Tinnitus sucks.

All of these are valid points as the NHRA tries to suck every last dollar out of their captive audience at these events. Someone is trying to sell you something every minute of the day, from the hawkers in the pits and overpriced food and junk to the Jumbo screen and the goofballs shooting T-shirts into the stands. Plenty of goofballs in the stands too, who are there for the fuel cars and have no interest or knowledge of anything else going on. Some of the conversations I hear make my head hurt from the stupidity.

But back when the economy was booming, these places were packed and everyone complained about NHRA sucking then too. Car counts are down everywhere along with the spectators. I know lots of people who would be out there, including me, if there was money to do it. NASCAR is down, so are local tracks, concerts, everything. It's not just NHRA.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.