Quote:

Is it necessary to go to the bare metal, use a etching primer and then the Evercoat body filler?

I have received conflicting information from several sources and wanted to run this by the good members of moparts.

I have heard that evercoat can only go over bare metal, and have also heard it can go over sanded/prepped primer/paint.

I have glazing putty for the final filler.

Thanks in advance!

If your going to use an Etch Primer(I'd recommend Dupont VARI-PRIME), do all your bodywork first, bondo only on bare metal, then Etch prime (I'm assuming the car is stripped bare, no paint?), 1 or 2 coats....I'd then recommend a (DUPONT) 2K building primer, several coats, each one blocked finer with each application of primer, fill any lows/pits/etc, with Evercoats 2 part glazing putty during the intial blocking/priming operation, your last few coats of primer, should be just that, PRIMER, and just lots of block sanding....if BC/CC is your final finish, I usually block sand the primer(2K) to 600 grit, after BC/CC, I then color sand starting at 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000, and finish off in 2500 to 3000, no compounding, just polishing...

Use QUALITY MATERIALS, no short cuts, and you'll be rewarded with a quality finish,....of course the appearance of finished work is based on your skill sets performing bodywork

Mike