Quote:

Quote:

it's not going to be close to 600 on a stock smog 400, mine was a 0303 over 70 440 w/ speed pro cast pistons (maybe 9:1) stock but super clean and new 906 heads, 488 summit cam, RPM intake 750 Proform Holley, headers, 175K stall and 3.91's. It ran 12.0's at 114.5. (5.5-6psi of boost) That's about 450ish at the rear wheels. to get it up to 600 you'll need a 500hp 400.

Yea I know I won't be at 600 HP with 6 psi, I was just stating what the potential HP these superchargers can produce. 450 hp at the crank to start with would be nice though and I don't think I'm out of touch shooting for that with a 400. The quick build I have in my head is similar to your 440. Summit cam, mildly ported 452's w/2.14/1.81 valves, and an M1 single plane. I would keep the stock short block as the motor is in fantastic shape, but I think it would handle mild boost as long as you stay out of detonation (I've read a bunch of your posts on your 67(you sold it right?) and you state that as long as you stayed out of detonation, it was fine). That is why I would like to intercool it as well, and add a meth injection kit along with it, cooler the better.

I would crank it up to higher HP levels in the future when I could financially swing building a better short block (forged crank, H beams, forged pistons, girdle, etc, or maybe even a low deck Koleno block) but the stock smog 400 would have to do for awhile

Yeah that car is gone. As long as you keep fuel in the cylinders your are good. 6psi of boost shouldn't require any "coolng" If you want to save some cash get a Meth/water injection kit. buying something "cheap" doesn't always end up being cheap. I bought my Paxton set up for a BBC. I refabbed the main bracket and had the crank pully drilled for BBM. I had maybe $2200 in everything, carb, gauges, fuel system, carb hat, pipe work...