Quote:

it's not going to be close to 600 on a stock smog 400, mine was a 0303 over 70 440 w/ speed pro cast pistons (maybe 9:1) stock but super clean and new 906 heads, 488 summit cam, RPM intake 750 Proform Holley, headers, 175K stall and 3.91's. It ran 12.0's at 114.5. (5.5-6psi of boost) That's about 450ish at the rear wheels. to get it up to 600 you'll need a 500hp 400.

Yea I know I won't be at 600 HP with 6 psi, I was just stating what the potential HP these superchargers can produce. 450 hp at the crank to start with would be nice though and I don't think I'm out of touch shooting for that with a 400. The quick build I have in my head is similar to your 440. Summit cam, mildly ported 452's w/2.14/1.81 valves, and an M1 single plane. I would keep the stock short block as the motor is in fantastic shape, but I think it would handle mild boost as long as you stay out of detonation (I've read a bunch of your posts on your 67(you sold it right?) and you state that as long as you stayed out of detonation, it was fine). That is why I would like to intercool it as well, and add a meth injection kit along with it, cooler the better.

I would crank it up to higher HP levels in the future when I could financially swing building a better short block (forged crank, H beams, forged pistons, girdle, etc, or maybe even a low deck Koleno block) but the stock smog 400 would have to do for awhile