I've been kicking aroud the idea of using an Eaton M122 supercharger (used on the new Shelby Mustangs) for a blow through carb application, has anyone done it? I see them as almost new take offs on EBay for the $600 mark (which seems pretty cheap to me). Plus they seems to make pretty decent power. I've stumbled across some guys on the net useing them for blow through EFI apps (5.0 Mustangs) but no carbs. I'm thinking there shouldn't be any issues since turbo and centrifigal blower guys do it all the time. The only thing that's bothering me is that the M122 is a roots blower so it builds boost right now, unlike a turbo or centrifigal that is more gradual, would that cause any type of issue?
I would be putting this on a stock smog 400 with low boost (6-8 lbs) but cranking itup when the motor gets a rebuild with forged stuff, I would also be using an intercooler. Converting to fuel injecte would be a possibility somewhere in the distant future. The car is a 67 Coronet and I was thinking of mounting it on the passenger side of the engine for better weight distribution.
I know that it would take alot of fab work but that's no issue, I've got a decent mig, plus a mini mill, mini lathe, etc (machinist by trade), so that doesn't scare me or turn me off of the idea.