With the arguements you are making, Josh, the turbo 400 would eat power. Pro trans has been making record holding torqueflites for years. But, going back to what Josh brought up the converter ran in a Pro trans is deeper. A simple midplate made thick, fixes this problem.

I really wish guys would figure this one out. It is not the 727 designs from Mopar that blow up. If you drive it in drive with a ton of power yes. Some aftermarket valve bodies that we all used for years caused this phenomenom. They decided Low Band Apply was not necessary in race applications. Well many floarboards, feet and tranny cases later we know better. The sprags and drums from the aftermarket are better. The billet drums do not blow up. But, if you had the low/reverse band applied the drum wouldn't spin 15,000 RPM and blow up.

400 turbo trans were considered junk until they went spragless. The big issue is 1,000's of people buy 400 turbo's and race them. Only hundreds race the 727. So there is very little out there to prove the 727 can handle 2,500 HP. Where are you gonna find the diehards that want to run a 727 that can actually make that power. I think it can be done. But, I don't ,make that kinda power to prove it. Chrisman runs a blown Promod but 4.40's is not enough power to really say "Hey we have tested it to the extreme. I have seen fairly basic aftermarket parted powerglides handle that. Here is why I say this. There are many Pro flites that are using modified stock 904 parts running behind engines making over 1,000 HP and have the ET to back it up. Put the same trans behind a but kicking SS Hemi and they sometimes give up. The 727 is lightyears bigger internally and with the few aftermarket parts needed can handle 2,000HP IMO. But, there are some other parts that need upgrades to really get over and beyond that. Here is the real deal HP does not break transmissions. Torque and tire shake is what tears out transmissions. So if you have a perfect setup it is hard to tell what you can get away with.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.