Quote:

I know my 1406 was pretty lean and that's on a 318 so I'm sure it'd be leaner on a 440 assuming the 1405 manual choke version is factory lean also.

The 1406 is the lean economy model and the manual choke 1405 model was jetted more for performance from Edlebrock new.
Hell yea it's almost impossible to see those numbers on the rods and jets. I use a larger flat blade screwdriver to loosen/tighten and then a smaller to remove/install jets.
Use this magnifying glass to see the numbers and these cheap numbered drill set to compare jet sizes even if I can read the numbers. I have found many jet's with wrong numbers stamped on them, for all carbs.
The jet kit won't come with stock needles and jets, but has everything else and is almost necessary for tuning.
Stock/base jetting for a 1405 is 1428 jets, will say 120-400 on the jet.
Stock rod is a 7047 stamped on rod. Easy enough to check with a dial calibur. .070 thou on the thick end and .047" on the skinny end.

If you have 400 stock jets and 7547 rods...you are 2 steps lean in cruise mode and a little lean in power mode. I'd say way too lean for a 440 motor considering I run 1 step lean in the summer with my 340 with eddie heads and recently went 1 step rich for this cool fall air the car really responded well.
When I go to Pikes Peak and out west 6000+ or higher, I go with 24 on the reference chart which is like 2 steps lean both ways with more timing and less idle screw.

13000+ feet high