Quote:

Slant 6 is no ball of fire, but it really shouldn't have a problem keeping up with traffic or cruising at 70. 2.94 gears work well with a slant, and 94,000 miles isn't that much, either.

I have to wonder about the condition of your timing chain/gears, or if your muffler is plugged (they CAN corrode internally).

Lots of work/expense to swap in a 318; if you're only looking for a stock 318 power level, you can get that in a slant 6 with a 2bbl carb, mild cam, and bigger exhaust pipe.

How can I check the condition of the muffler? I put my hand over the tail pipe with the engine idling yesterday and it sure seemed like it was moving a good amount of air.
The muffler and tail pipe have been changed at some point in the car's life prior to my owning it.
As far as the 318, I was planning on port matching the heads and intake manifold, along with smoothing (not porting) the intake and exhaust ports, then smoothing the exhaust manifolds as much as possible and going with dual 2 1/4" exhaust.
I've been looking at Super Six parts and they seem to be more expensive than a good used 318.

Your life is not my fault.
My life is none of your business.

Speech is free only if you agree with those in control.