Quote:

Quote:

I guess if you're using stock heads the oil would drain back easier with the huge openings in the heads. The aftermarket Stealth and Edelbrock heads don't have that, so it's easy to suck the pan dry when running it hard with an HV oil pump.

Once you are at the pressure of the relief spring, the high volume pump does not put any more oil to the motor. It just recirculates more oil from the pump relief valve back to the pan.

Well this is all news to me, after sucking the pan dry everytime I would accelerate enthusiastically with my stock 383/Stealth Head/HV oil pump. My gauge would read ~75psi (mechanical) and drop/flutter/etc when I got on it due to lack of available oil (oil was full). Also noticed that the oil would stay hung up in the heads because there was so much of it. Ended up pulling the valve covers, no blockage, swapped to a standard oil pump and haven't had a single problem since. Alot of the theories behind the HV oil pump sound good, but reality is a different story. And for a stock build, or any build where the passages aren't opened up, there is no point that I can see in using an HV oil pump. Look at what everyone says about the pressure relief spring "recirculating the oil"....that means it's not getting used efficiently....so why have it?