Quote:

"You are well aware there is no comparable "1.8 mopar" engine made during this time frame."

You are the one that made the statement "Rpm isn't necessarily the killer of MPG (I have driven 1.8l Acuras that buzzed down the highway at much higher rates than a typical mopar and get good MPG)"

Your own admission that there are no comparable mopar motors renders your statement invalid.

It also states "typical mopar" if you are going to nitpick and is a true statement as I have driven a large number of mopars and none of them turned as high an rpm as the Acura did. A trade off for having such a small displacement I'm sure.

There is a 1.8 mopar engine made now (in the caliber) but since I have no idea what it turns for rpm going down the highway can offer no opinion. It came out about the same time I retired from Chrysler.

A quick google search states the acura turns 4000-4200 rpm doing 70 down the interstate which is 2000 rpm higher than my Ram and 1500 rpm higher than my Shelby Daytona.

The point still stands, rpm isn;t necessarily the killer of mpg with a real world example provided.