Bottom line is just putting race gas in a car wont make it faster. But if its a race eng then you can tune for more timing and so on so that you can make the most power without eng knock using race gas. I see some guys that run timing back at 30 on the street but when they race they add race fuel and bump the timing to 38 or about which they cant do on high enough comp and to low octane. Like was said race gas burns slower as it resist knock better that way and all gasses are not created equal. Try to start your hotrod in 20 degree temps with race gas and then try it with 92 pump and see which makes it easier to start in cold temps. The faster burning pump will start easier in cold temps because of its nature. I build my engines to run on 92 pump even with my timing at 38 as thats what I want because my cars are street cars. My new eng has good .045 quench and alot of cam to keep the cyl pressure good enough that it runs great on 92 pump. Heck 3.85 a gallon cost enough for me without even thinking about the price of race gas. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/01/11 01:38 PM.