Quote:

My plans are like 70cuda383 is talking bout. I will then assemble the car and align then paint entire car as one with the hood off and door jambs masked off. I understand the color differance and probs with painting panels on diff days and such. WHat i was wondering is where is the best place to make the tape lines on door jambs, underhood and is it better to paint with trunk lid off also. I guess that would eliminate tape lines in trunk weather stripping area. Thanks and hope that cleared up my intentions.

You avoid "tape lines" by "back taping", that involves rolling the tape over on itself, so that you leave a soft edge, that you blend into later, avoid hard taping (leaving an edge), you either back tape, or you let the tape overlap the edge of the panel being jambed, later on, lets say in a door jamb they may have been jambed prior to painting the entire car, you can use apperture tape, it's like a foam cord, with a strip of semi tack adhesive on one side, you install it on the jambed paint edge, exposing just a thin line of color on your back taped painted edge, then close the door/panel/trunk lid/etc/etc/etc, it leaves the panel gap blocked off from overspray, yet allows (depending on the depth you set it at) the paint to wick in and blend softly with the "jambed" jamb, leaving you with a professional blending of the main body paint and the jamb paint, apperture tape is only used on pre jambed areas, or areas you don't want paint entering, but yet want a soft transition line of color/spray

Mike