Quote:

I won't disagree with the bulk of that except to say that the "68 - '70 body engine compartment must be bigger, 'cause I haven't had any space issues. And yes, you must have really bad luck because Mopar wedges certainly aren't known for being high maintenance engines.

I've never owned a 68-70, only this 72 and many E-bodies. It is tight in there. Maybe there are better fitting headers than Hooker Comps though. Spark plugs are a night mare, compression test? forget it. Maybe i just need to buy really expensive tools.

I dont know what it is man, but with the dozen or so big block Mopars i've had all but one vibrated, and all but one burned enough oil to matter. Keeping plugs clean was impossible. This latest 440 (75 drop-in) i have has been the exception, but it still likes oil and plugs. Buick 455's and Caddy 472/500's were my thing before Mopar (plug many driver BOP 350's) and never... never did one vibrate or burn oil. That cant be luck.

Quote:

A 451 low deck stroker (or similar) is a great engine; a buddy has one in his '68 Charger with a 6 pack setup on it and it runs great. The only downside is equivalent performance to a 440 with increased build cost but if I had an original 383 car, that's the way I would go too.

Dave

Even the cost aint much different anymore... depending on how you do it. Its crazy how cheap things have got for the big block Mopar.

I still like the less is more idea. Street racing with my buddy's 289 Maverick kinda drove that home. That thing was unstoppable... and what a bashed welfare piece ov [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] it was. Still, that sucker revved to the moon, on its 87 octane gas, and everyone thought it was a 351 or at least a 347... People started coming out from the city to race the 'nitroused Maverick'... and we just laughed. Same basic idea with a 383/400.