Quote:

Thats all fine but;

- "generally stouter" is completely irrelevant at any reasonable street horsepower level.

So is using aftermarket rods... but thats almost considered mandatory to many here...

Quote:

- the 383 revving issue is largly an urban myth, especially on a street build with hydraulic lifters; both motors are done by 6000rpm. Want to rev? get a solid lifter BBC.

Hey... i like the revs. The lowdeck WILL do it easier... measurably? well, who knows really...

Quote:

- easier to work around?? why because of the 3/4 inch less deck height? ummm OK....

Uh, actually yes. It is murder to change plugs in my 72 Charger with headers. In some spots 1/8" ov an inch will literally save the day. The lowdeck is what? an inch narrower... For that alone i will forsake the 440 on my next car. Maybe if Mopar big blocks could go 2000 miles without needing new plugs this might not be an issue...

Quote:

- the weight difference is zero to 25 lbs; if weight is an issue, there are any number of goodies that will more than make up the difference between a B or RB in weight.....if there is any difference at all.

I'm talking averages. We've seen the articles where a 383 block can weigh more than a 440 block, but the average is less, and i think most would agree around 20lbs less. The chances are you'll save weight with the lowdeck. Now, add those weight-savers to the already lighter engine.

Quote:

- High maintenance?? a Mopar wedge?? wow, try something exotic. anyway, no difference between a B or RB as far as maintenance goes.

Agreed, but doing plugs or even getting down the side on a lowdeck will still be easier.

And maybe i've just had nothing but bad luck with these engines (that i love by the way), but yes... high maintenance. Sure, you can BUILD a 440 to be relatively trouble free... but a drop-in is always a headache. I've had many GM big blocks (though not an actual Chevy) and not one ever required the hood to be opened. Maybe i just got lucky... but thats a long string ov luck (or bad luck with Mopars). They were designed well, but built horribly.

Quote:

- doing more with less is fine; it's your money but using a 383 instead of a 440 is giving away free power; I'd never do it unless I was going to build a stroker and it was in an original 383/400 car....but hey, fill your boots.

Dave

Yeah i know... all this obsession with efficiency is gonna make me a smallbock guy one ov these days... But i go to the track and read here and just see such exaggerated diminishing returns with cubic inches. Personally, i think a 426-440 sized stroker lowdeck is about as perfect as a big block Mopar is gonna get. Thats what i'd build if i had the coin.