Quote:

I have the same car same year and am also just looking to get mine running. I have an available 75 or 76 440 pulled out ov a runner, but i would MUCH rather find and use a 68-69 4-bbl 383 (one with stock pistons though). I like the smaller engines, dont need a 440 to go fast, the 383's are just generally stouter, i like revs over low-end torque and probably the main reason that 440 will continue to sit there, alongside my non-running Challenger until i find a nice low-deck... The lowdecks are just easier to work around. I have never had a big block Mopar that wasn't high-maintenance... and there is just more room in the engine compartment with a 383. Weight savings is a big deal for me too... even if its (on average) only 20lbs. I also like the doing more with less idea.

Thats all fine but;

- "generally stouter" is completely irrelevant at any reasonable street horsepower level.

- the 383 revving issue is largly an urban myth, especially on a street build with hydraulic lifters; both motors are done by 6000rpm. Want to rev? get a solid lifter BBC.

- easier to work around?? why because of the 3/4 inch less deck height? ummm OK....

- the weight difference is zero to 25 lbs; if weight is an issue, there are any number of goodies that will more than make up the difference between a B or RB in weight.....if there is any difference at all.

- High maintenance?? a Mopar wedge?? wow, try something exotic. anyway, no difference between a B or RB as far as maintenance goes.

- doing more with less is fine; it's your money but using a 383 instead of a 440 is giving away free power; I'd never do it unless I was going to build a stroker and it was in an original 383/400 car....but hey, fill your boots.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]