05/17/11 06:31 PM
05/17/11 06:31 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
it's our own fault! the event is there and know one shows,what do u want them to do? fly u in..im just saying...same thing with the rental dave puts together,i know its a monday,but geez u can give the boss over a months notice

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: fishy340] #988711
05/17/11 08:43 PM
05/17/11 08:43 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
Thanks Guys rub it in that I couldn`t be there Saturday because of work. DR Jay the new wheels look good, I see you raced Steve Sisko Friday nite how was the race? Hes tough, I lost to him a few times when I raced Friday Night Mean Street there.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: fishy340] #988712
05/20/11 01:22 AM
05/20/11 01:22 AM
W
WalterF Offline
WalterF  Offline
W

First off let me start by thanking all the die-hards that still come out for this event.You make it worth our while to retain this show. The folks that show up are having fun and that is important.
Some of you, however, really must have your heads in the sand. Take a look around. All of the muscle car shows are shrinking, and shrinking rapidly. I said it before, and I'll say it again, The hobby is "greying". Many musclecar owners are now in their 50s and '60s. They've "been there and done that". The excitement is gone. In addition, many of us are facing serious financial difficulties in this terrible economy. All you have to do, if you don't believe me is to come out on a regular race day and count the number of "classic" Mopars...........One? maybe two? Usually none! And this is at a big, famous race track in a major metropolitan area.
The sad fact(for you) is that you are being replaced by a new generation that shows little interest in our type of car. Proof? How about Twenty Two Thousand people for Waterfest, a two day VW and Audi show in the dog days of August. Earlier this year we had a sport compact race with Nine Thousand spectators on a Sunday and ATCO had to close the gates before noon on Honda Day because there was no more room for spectators or racers. They (spectators)were actually cutting the chain link fence with bolt cutters to let their friends in!
We offer them the same thing that we offer you. They come, you don't.
Pontiac Day, which used to bring a couple hundred cars had about 30 cars this year. Have we really messed things up that badly? I don't think so. You want the event to grow? Talk all of your friends into actually showing up and to stop crying into their keyboards.
Flame on!
WF

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: WalterF] #988713
05/20/11 05:30 AM
05/20/11 05:30 AM
NJ central
S
Scamp408 Offline
master
Scamp408  Offline
master
S

NJ central
Hey can we do more streetwars import vs domestic ?
That event is a good event Walt

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: WalterF] #988714
05/20/11 07:21 AM
05/20/11 07:21 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

First off let me start by thanking all the die-hards that still come out for this event.You make it worth our while to retain this show. The folks that show up are having fun and that is important.
Some of you, however, really must have your heads in the sand. Take a look around. All of the muscle car shows are shrinking, and shrinking rapidly. I said it before, and I'll say it again, The hobby is "greying". Many musclecar owners are now in their 50s and '60s. They've "been there and done that". The excitement is gone. In addition, many of us are facing serious financial difficulties in this terrible economy. All you have to do, if you don't believe me is to come out on a regular race day and count the number of "classic" Mopars...........One? maybe two? Usually none! And this is at a big, famous race track in a major metropolitan area.
The sad fact(for you) is that you are being replaced by a new generation that shows little interest in our type of car. Proof? How about Twenty Two Thousand people for Waterfest, a two day VW and Audi show in the dog days of August. Earlier this year we had a sport compact race with Nine Thousand spectators on a Sunday and ATCO had to close the gates before noon on Honda Day because there was no more room for spectators or racers. They (spectators)were actually cutting the chain link fence with bolt cutters to let their friends in!
Pontiac Day, which used to bring a couple hundred cars had about 30 cars this year. Have we really messed things up that badly? I don't think so. You want the event to grow? Talk all of your friends into actually showing up and to stop crying into their keyboards.
Flame on!
WF

Sorry, and with all due respect, I disagree with your statements for the most part.

Yes, the economy is in the dumps. We all know that. But there are people that are still getting out and enjoying the hobby. Lots of people. Get in your truck next week and head up to Lebanon Valley for Musclepalooza and then tell me that the muscle era cars are dead. The place draws an unbelievable crowd! Packed to the rafters. Same for the Carlisle events. And while I havent been to the Nats in the last few years, I hear they are still drawing a big crowd as well. Yet, Musclepalooxa at Etown doesn't nearly have the "juice" that the Valley has. Something's just wrong here. And as a business owner myself, I don't like anyone telling me how to run my business so I won't do the same for Etown, but constructive criticism is certainly welcomed. At the end of the day, a bigger, more popular event is good for all. The spectators/entrants have more fun and the house makes more money. Everyone wins.

The import events seem to be more about the "culture"(women, music, and )than the cars. But give them their due, they figured it out somehow.

I won't outline all of the changes that I believe should be made, as frankly, they would mirror what most have already previously posted. Read and take note I suppose. The one change that should absolutely be made is to change the date of the event. It rains just about every year on that weekend. Perhaps people are just "crossing it off their list", assuming that its going to rain anyway. The string of bad weather for this event is beyond a coincidence at this point. Move it or lose it.

Regards,

MB

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: HPMike] #988715
05/20/11 07:59 AM
05/20/11 07:59 AM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
They cross it off the list because for years now Walt has been stating the same thing - it's not me it's all of you!

meanwhile, outside of E-town the Mopar Hobby is growing rapidly...

It's a waste of time to discuss this if there is no willingness to listen to the people who attended the event and are willing to give opinions on how to save it.

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: WalterF] #988716
05/20/11 08:33 AM
05/20/11 08:33 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Online content
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Online Content
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Quote:

Flame on!
WF

WOW! i don't know what to say.. you are freaking clueless man. get out look around its your event that sucks. others are fine. you want us to show up then make it worth showing up. your obviously too thick headed and blind to listen to the people that used to make the show great so just kill the event already. your a joke and so is your event. go back to whatever cave you have been living in.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: abodyjoe] #988717
05/20/11 09:06 AM
05/20/11 09:06 AM
the garbage state
W
wp23n Offline
wp23n  Offline
W

the garbage state
Quote:

Quote:

Flame on!
WF

WOW! i don't know what to say.. you are freaking clueless man. get out look around its your event that sucks. others are fine. you want us to show up then make it worth showing up. your obviously too thick headed and blind to listen to the people that used to make the show great so just kill the event already. your a joke and so is your event. go back to whatever cave you have been living in.

DOUBLE WOW!!!!!!! i have been to 21 of these and with this attitude
this was definitely my last one..........

you may as well kill it as stated by Joe or better yet with the way you guys run your facility now plow it under and build houses on the property.

Post deleted by moparts [Re: wp23n] #988718
05/20/11 10:27 AM
05/20/11 10:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: HPMike] #988719
05/20/11 10:43 AM
05/20/11 10:43 AM
Carlisle, PA
Chris G Offline
top fuel
Chris G  Offline
top fuel

Carlisle, PA
Quote:

Get in your truck next week and head up to Lebanon Valley for Musclepalooza and then tell me that the muscle era cars are dead. The place draws an unbelievable crowd! Packed to the rafters. Same for the Carlisle events. And while I havent been to the Nats in the last few years, I hear they are still drawing a big crowd as well. Yet, Musclepalooxa at Etown doesn't nearly have the "juice" that the Valley has.

I doubt Hemmings will use E-town as the fall event much longer. Their staff was not at all happy with the turnout compared to NY. And anyone that's been to Lebanon Valley knows it's in the middle of nowhere, so to get the turnout they do must mean they are doing something right.

After reading Walt's comments, it's no wonder the show is what it is.

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? #988720
05/20/11 10:49 AM
05/20/11 10:49 AM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Quote:

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the folks disagreeing with Walter. It's pretty simple that if the 200+ folks from this site alone that no longer attend and make excuses as to why simply showed up one year, that would make the following year one of anticipation. That would also show the facility that the event has life which would in turn create the finances from the draw, not the tracks' account to provide some of the "events" being discussed such as legend appearances which cost money(sometimes in the thousands of dollars), hemi shootout event with sponsorship and payout etc. Regardless of the headcount drop in the last few years, all sides make very valid points. Internet and Ebay sales for parts, the reproduction parts market explosion, cost of simple things like food(bring your own), fuel, tolls, and the "been there done that perception" are all things that absolutely contributed to the downfall. But it always comes back to simply putting it on your calendar and showing up. Pay your $12 to come in, see old friends, buy a burger, watch some races, make new friends, open up to the new models of our hobby(LX), check out the SuperCars, and have a good time. Yes we remember how it used to be and it will never be a standing room only event. None of the heavy hitting events are. They are all not dead, but you can't honestly tell me that Carlisle wasn't thin, and Columbus wasn't thin. How can you not want to go to this event? The name Raceway Park alone is the top reason we go. Come under that tower when you're racing and there is nothing like it, thousands of feet of paved parking, beautiful grandstands, the sounds of racing, meeting up with your old friends, and putting a face to your keyboard friends. I'm sorry but I'll still attend no matter what because of those simple details. Many of us will still not agree, but all I know is myself a the gang of merry men that convoy with us, plan to go every year like has always been.

Didnt Carlisle just set an attendance record last year??

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: Chris G] #988721
05/20/11 10:51 AM
05/20/11 10:51 AM
On the parachute mount
N
n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
Hey guys,.....go easy on Walter, he is a Mopar guy and him coming on here is not to bash, keep it constructive, as i have said before, THE TRACK IS WILLING TO LISTEN....IF IF IF IF...you guys are adults, and keep it constructive, you can practically "re-do" this event. You have the guys ear, work with him and the track, then actually GO to the event and support it. Act like men and you will get what you want. I was ther fri night with my son and his Duster, we could not go sat as he works and so do i, but we were loaded up and going on sunday but it got rained out.
Walter if you reading this, i would like to get some sponsors and get a small tire race topgether, id even let in the "big tire" guys so we vcan get alittle heads up race together.....

come on guys come up with constructive input and stop complaining,...this can be your event if you want it.

Tony Russo

....BAD A$$ STREET CAR.....
Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: n20mstr] #988722
05/20/11 10:56 AM
05/20/11 10:56 AM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Quote:

THE TRACK IS WILLING TO LISTEN....IF IF IF IF...

Tony - with all due respect this quote says it all -

Quote:

Have we really messed things up that badly? I don't think so.

In the minds of E-town they are not doing anything wrong, therefore they are not going to change. it's sad to say - but unless he clarifies that statement as false - it is what it is.

Post deleted by moparts [Re: DJVCuda] #988723
05/20/11 10:57 AM
05/20/11 10:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? #988724
05/20/11 10:59 AM
05/20/11 10:59 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quarter Aces on Friday was week,

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? #988725
05/20/11 11:02 AM
05/20/11 11:02 AM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Quote:

Quote:

Didnt Carlisle just set an attendance record last year??

Show me where the actual numbers are. Did you go? I did and have been there for 9 years straight. Friday was a ghost town, Quarter Aces on Friday was week, York Reunion on Satuday was very slow. I did not hit Beaver on that Sunday so I can't speak for that. Quoting that attendance phrase means that their marketing department is on point and doing a tremedous job. Putting that phrase out there is great tool of marketing to make every enthusiast believe everything is still keeping the status cuo.

I go every year - started both e-town and carlisle the same year - 1992 - I have watched E-town shrivvle into whatever it is and also watched Carlisle grow every year.

I know in fact the last 3 years it has grown, we used to park next to our tent and the last 2 years we have been forced to move our cars to our respective classes on sat to make room for people trying to get in the class section - thats a fact. it does get larger every year.

fact are facts - sponsors hit Carlisle , they all have the year planned out and e-town is not on the agenda any more - if that were to change the event would grow, not without it.

Hell I used to help put on an all Mopar show, two actually , one in my yard - we had 250+ mopars there - way more then E-town... it can be done - and it;s not rocket science.

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: DJVCuda] #988726
05/20/11 11:04 AM
05/20/11 11:04 AM
On the parachute mount
N
n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
I have gained a lot more respect for tracks in the last few years., Getting involved in some aspects of thier side of running events.
I say it all the time, they will listen and prob give you guys what you want....make sure if they listen, you show up to support them, THey cant pay celebs to show up without people paying at the gate. Its that simple.
I think they can revamp the event and make it different. Sponsors/Vendors having seminars etc on sat would be a good draw. They also need to get Chrysler dealers or something like that as a sponsor, someone mentioned a dealer could have cars on display and offer test drives on the road course, very good idea. Mopar perf shops like Muscle Motors or Indy (LOL) could have seminars and "show specials" This is just some ideas....
I dont want to see the event go away, i want to race there and do some nice 100' wheelies.....

....BAD A$$ STREET CAR.....
Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: n20mstr] #988727
05/20/11 11:07 AM
05/20/11 11:07 AM
W
WalterF Offline
WalterF  Offline
W

It looks like some of you believe that I actually run that show. I don't. I had nothing at all to do with the production of that event. Got it?
I am giving you my observations based on my personal experiences at that event since it's inception and from what I see on a day to day basis while working at the track as an announcer. I see everything!
Some of you really understand what is happening in our world, others never will.
The reality is that contrary to what you believe, just about every automotive event is shrinking, including Carlisle. Their numbers are down. How do I know? We talk to them.
As far as moving the date. I have a July weekend that you can have. I'll switch the Nostalgia race and Funny Car Reunion with the Mopar race. Oh wait.....it has rained out six of the last ten events!
WF

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: 11secdart] #988728
05/20/11 11:11 AM
05/20/11 11:11 AM
Cold Spring, NY
1970GTX Offline
master
1970GTX  Offline
master

Cold Spring, NY
I've been to this event when it was just starting out and when it was at it's peak.

I tried to hang in there and support the show as much as possible, but a big disappointment as mentioned throughout several post and threads, is the weather. It seems like you are almost guaranteed at least one rainy day in the latter parts of May weekends.

For me, the bigger disappointment has been the request by Raceway Park management for ideas to revive the event, but never putting the suggestions into practice.

Re: Mopars @ E-Town who's going? [Re: 1970GTX] #988729
05/20/11 11:14 AM
05/20/11 11:14 AM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Walt's NOT managment - he is only the announcer and will not do anything but stir the pot here - just like he has done for years.

If anyone wants to change the event you need to contact the Napp family directly - they own the place, and hire the announcers, as well as manage the shows.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5