Vermont
T
TrWaters Offline OP
top fuel
TrWaters  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Vermont
When building a full tube chassis car, is the driveline usually centered? Other than maybe clearance for the steering shaft, is there any reason not to center the driveline? Thanks.

TR Waters
Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: TrWaters] #948494
03/11/11 01:27 PM
03/11/11 01:27 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

When building a full tube chassis car, is the driveline usually centered? Other than maybe clearance for the steering shaft, is there any reason not to center the driveline? Thanks.

I center it

Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #948495
03/12/11 12:00 AM
03/12/11 12:00 AM
North Carolina
K
keelsracing Offline
keelsracing  Offline
K

North Carolina
offset for the driveshaft u joints or they will "burn" up from not letting grease on the needles and letting them rotate to keep the needles from geting flattened

Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: keelsracing] #948496
03/12/11 12:06 AM
03/12/11 12:06 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

offset for the driveshaft u joints or they will "burn" up from not letting grease on the needles and letting them rotate to keep the needles from geting flattened

Thats why you run pinion angle

Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #948497
03/12/11 12:10 AM
03/12/11 12:10 AM
North Carolina
K
keelsracing Offline
keelsracing  Offline
K

North Carolina
I thought that was only to "preload" the housing to compenstae for the housing to rotate when the chassie is loaded?

Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: keelsracing] #948498
03/12/11 12:17 AM
03/12/11 12:17 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I thought that was only to "preload" the housing to compenstae for the housing to rotate when the chassie is loaded?

And when its not loaded it has angle so its lubing the
joints.... when I build a chassis I go to the
extent of using a laser mounted in the rear main to
show directly through the pinion centerline... then
after its done roll the pinion angle in to it... I
have the same U-joints in it for 7 years now(still
perfect)... you can move it over from center if you
want or need the room

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 03/12/11 12:28 AM.
Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #948499
03/12/11 12:23 AM
03/12/11 12:23 AM
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline
master
FastmOp  Offline
master

Hot Rod Ridge
I center'd mine.
I also put one degree in the rear end

Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: TrWaters] #948500
03/12/11 01:07 AM
03/12/11 01:07 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

My on not centering the motor in a tube chassis is the same reasons that Mopar used to offset there motors and trans. in the early to late model rear wheel drive cars, especailly the muscle cars. #1 Provide the driver with more room, #2 To distribute the weight in a better manner, the driver is to the left of the cars center left to right and offsetting the motor and trans to the right helps the weight distribution left side to right side also Most tube chassis cars have four link rear suspensions so you can set them up to hook almost anywhere in almost any conditions negating the need for the motor offsets like stock I have not built a full tube chassis car from scratch but if and when I do I'll move the motor and trans to the right for the above reasons

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: Cab_Burge] #948501
03/12/11 01:15 AM
03/12/11 01:15 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

My on not centering the motor in a tube chassis is the same reasons that Mopar used to offset there motors and trans. in the early to late model rear wheel drive cars, especailly the muscle cars. #1 Provide the driver with more room, #2 To distribute the weight in a better manner, the driver is to the left of the cars center left to right and offsetting the motor and trans to the right helps the weight distribution left side to right side also Most tube chassis cars have four link rear suspensions so you can set them up to hook almost anywhere in almost any conditions negating the need for the motor offsets like stock I have not built a full tube chassis car from scratch but if and when I do I'll move the motor and trans to the right for the above reasons

Cab why would you move it if you built a chassis...
like you said the chassis guys center it ... unless
your really fat

Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #948502
03/12/11 01:27 AM
03/12/11 01:27 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cab why would you move it if you built a chassis...
like you said the chassis guys center it ... unless
your really fat

I is fat,260 lbs at 6.0 I like as much room as I can get in the car, especially when getting in and out of the car All of the stock body Mopars I have raced have always been heavier on the left front tire(with the driver in place) than the right front tire and the same on the back tires but they have less weight on them than the fronts have, the right rear has the least amount of weight I even move the drivers seat as close to the trans tunnel as I can get them as well as as far back safely as I can That helps a tiny bit on the weight distribution The other thing is with a clean sheet design why not take advantage of offsetting the engine and trans (1 to 3 inches)for more room and better weight distribution That lessons the need for preload on the front and rear suspension, no matter what type suspension used, to get the car to go straight and work real well all the way down the track

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: Cab_Burge] #948503
03/12/11 01:35 AM
03/12/11 01:35 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I is fat,260 lbs at 6.0 I like as much room as I can get in the car, especially when getting in and out of the car All of the stock body Mopars I have raced have always been heavier on the left front tire(with the driver in place) than the right front tire and the same on the back tires but they have less weight on them than the fronts have, the right rear has the least amount of weight I even move the drivers seat as close to the trans tunnel as I can get them as well as as far back safely as I can That helps a tiny bit on the weight distribution The other thing is with a clean sheet design why not take advantage of offsetting the engine and trans (1 to 3 inches)for more room and better weight distribution That lessons the need for preload on the front and rear suspension, no matter what type suspension used, to get the car to go straight and work real well all the way down the track

I just stick to what the pro's do.... they put more
time in it than I do... seems to work for them

Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: MR_P_BODY] #948504
03/12/11 04:39 AM
03/12/11 04:39 AM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
my Duster was built on center in 1972.
I am used to seeing the carbs centered in the scoop. My Cuda is a backhalf car and the first time I set the scoop on the hood opening I thought something was wrong. Not where I anm used to seeinbg them for sure

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: Tube Chassis Question [Re: HEMIFRED] #948505
03/12/11 05:02 AM
03/12/11 05:02 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
We center the drive train in most all our full chassis cars.