Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? [Re: cjs69mope] #900256
01/14/11 01:56 PM
01/14/11 01:56 PM
Jensen Beach, Florida
pressureangle Offline
pressureangle  Offline

Jensen Beach, Florida
I ran a Hayes aluminum/steel insert FW with 3400# 3- finger Direct Connection pressure plate in my '68 Charger 440. It was easy enough to drive with 4.10 gears but required much more care with the left leg. With 3.55's I wouldn't want my driving to be 75% traffic. On my new 'touring' build, I went back to an all steel flywheel, centerforce clutch and a 505" motor. If I was racing any more than infrequently, I'd still be using the aluminum wheel.

Why do I torture myself so?
Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? [Re: pressureangle] #900257
01/14/11 08:09 PM
01/14/11 08:09 PM
Iowa State fan
kilroy Offline OP
super stock
kilroy  Offline OP
super stock

Iowa State fan
Everyone THANKS for the info and the real world experience, They have really helped me decide! I also searched UMTRNorth.com and searched for aluminum flywheel in the clutch section and came up with some good info too!

Later this spring (once it gets warmer here in IA and I can drop the trans in the drive to my neighbor horror, that when its funnest) I will update with my result.

Keep it coming if you have more. Im glad this sparks some interest with people.

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....
Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? [Re: kilroy] #900258
01/14/11 10:17 PM
01/14/11 10:17 PM
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
D
David_in_St_Croi Offline
top fuel
David_in_St_Croi  Offline
top fuel
D

St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
On our 70 RR I had the flywheel lightened but it was starting at 40 pounds. I felt the improvement was worth it. I notice you stated that the Hays site recommended steel flywheel or steel insert. Well, that is what you will have with the aluminum flywheel with the steel insert, so you are good there.

What type of disc is the 930 series? Is it sintered iron? I tried to find it on the Hays site but they do not admit it exists as far as I could find.

We have a Tim Hyatt built slipper clutch based upon Mcleod components. It is adjustable with a sintered iron clutch so you tighten it up for the street, loosen it for the track. We run a 4.3 rear in our RR so I do not know just how bad the 3.55 will be. If you have to slip a sintered iron disc on a regular basis due to the 3.55 it will not last long from what I have been told by people more informed than me. Go to UMTRnorth and give Tim Hyatt a call, his phone number is on there. He might be able to set you up for less than you think, even if it is just the disc. You might be able to get a Mcleod disc through him for the cost of the RAM. The Mcleod I believe are considerably thicker so last longer.

Another thought, you have not mentioned what you have for a pressure plate. That is another part of the equation. Wound up for the street our clutch hits hard but the street tires will always slip to save the rest of the drivetrain. What I like about it is that the clutch will be there at the end of the night, it is tough.

UMTRnorth.com is a great resource.

Was your clutch slipping?

Last edited by David_in_St_Croi; 01/14/11 10:20 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite
Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? [Re: David_in_St_Croi] #900259
01/15/11 12:40 AM
01/15/11 12:40 AM
Iowa State fan
kilroy Offline OP
super stock
kilroy  Offline OP
super stock

Iowa State fan
RAM stuff is kinda hard to bring up on jeg/summit pages. The 930 is a dual friction type disk with organic/metallic compounds. A hybrid of their 900 series and told them the same story as below. I email RAM tech told them my situation they suggested 900 series and said the 900 would be good for 650 HP using their BB plate which specs like mine. and yes the insert in the aluminum wheel will be the fixer for the steel part of it.

I originally tried a diaphragm clutch (2400#lbs) with a 6 paddle disk. It was very chattery which could be lived but it did not hold the power in any gear (even high and not completely even in low), and just to head off speculation yes on both clutches I double and triple check clearancse (disk and t/o bearing) and oil leaks.

Now Im running Hayes BB w/ 2750#lbs static with a 850#lbs @ 6k rpm assists. They supplied an organic disk that has been very tame to say the least. No longer slipping in high or low but when I am really hard on in second or try to heat the tires in a second gear burnout it wont hold then. Otherwise its adequate. This is the reason for the switch

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....
Page 2 of 2 1 2