Moparts

Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster?

Posted By: kilroy

Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/09/11 06:14 PM

Ok, Im upgrading my disk in my 4 speed to a ram 900 series. It requires a steel flywheel to run. I dont have the $ to buy a new $300 steel flywheel. I do have enough to buy the disk and a $60 steel insert for my old aluminum wheel.

Problem is Im running a eddy headed 440 in a 3800-4000lb charger with 3.55 rear gears.

Will this be a disaster as far flywheel inertia getting a heavy car moving or should I be ok?
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/09/11 06:18 PM

Don't do it, You knew the answer already. to heavy of a vehicle and to high a gear.

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/09/11 06:22 PM

Anyone have real street or strip experience with aluminum flywheel in or near these specs?
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/09/11 06:23 PM

Quote:

Don't do it, You knew the answer already. to heavy of a vehicle and to high a gear.

x2 ... ... you should be running a REAL HEAVY steel wheel !

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/09/11 06:30 PM

YA, dang I thought so but....

crap I hate common sense.

Anyway most of these cars are this weight, ive actually shave a couple of hundred pounds.

Car used to weigh 4250 but I cut crash beams out of doors (38lbs!!!), aluminum Master Cylinder, mini starter, aluminum heads and water pump housing, removed factory insulation, crash bumperets and brackets, and more I cant think of right now.

So to say a real heavy flywheel is a little ridicules. plus steel flywheels aren't much different weight than factory stuff.
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/09/11 06:30 PM

Quote:

Anyone have real street or strip experience with aluminum flywheel in or near these specs?

Mine was 3000lb duster with a sb and 3.91 gears. It killed it. If I had some 5.38 It might have been a differant story.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/09/11 06:33 PM

WEIGHT of the wheel is an issue ... but almost as important is the gear. IF uyou had a 4.88 gear or so ... you might be able to get-away with a way-lighter FW.

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/09/11 06:34 PM

Quote:

Mine was 3000lb duster with a sb and 3.91 gears. It killed it. If I had some 5.38 It might have been a differant story.

Cool,thanks

any other disaster/successes?
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/09/11 11:38 PM

I wouldn't do it
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/10/11 01:55 AM

I don't see any problem with it. I don't know why a steel FW is required. The AL wheel has a steel insert. As far as stored energy, the flywheel is just part of the rotating mass and all of the energy is stored in your gas tank to begin with. To increased the energy stored you just need to increase the launch rpms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_energy) The sintered iron will be pretty grabby and if you plan on racing its going to be hard on parts. You can control some of that with air in the tires and how quick you shift.

Have fun!
Greg

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/10/11 04:15 AM

Quote:

I don't see any problem with it. I don't know why a steel FW is required. The AL wheel has a steel insert. As far as stored energy, the flywheel is just part of the rotating mass and all of the energy is stored in your gas tank to begin with. To increased the energy stored you just need to increase the launch rpms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_energy) The sintered iron will be pretty grabby and if you plan on racing its going to be hard on parts. You can control some of that with air in the tires and how quick you shift.

Have fun!
Greg

This is my thinking on the inertia, I need more grab than my current disk and I teched Ram about this disk and their 930 series. They thought I should use the 900 because of the extra grab, but they said specifically steel or steel insert. The racing I do is DOT street tires so that will be my loose link in chain.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/10/11 04:48 AM

This is my thinking on the inertia, I need more grab than my current disk and I teched Ram about this disk and their 930 series. They thought I should use the 900 because of the extra grab, but they said specifically steel or steel insert. The racing I do is DOT street tires so that will be my loose link in chain.

If you want to slip the clutch a fair amount you can
get away with the alum but in the weight your trying
to get moving I would run a heavy wheel... I ran a 9#
alum wheel in a much lighter car and it wanted to
fall on its face(with alot steeper gear than yours)
so I changed to a heavy wheel(35# I think it was,
might have been a 42#)and it launched much harder
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/10/11 07:52 PM

depends onthe combo, I ran aluminum flywheels on my old LT1 Firehawk and it was night and day better in terms of response and quick shifting. I was also very happy with the aluminum flywheel swap in my 25+ PSI boosted Mitsu Eclipse sleeper.

440's are no slouches on torque and if you have decent compression and the right type of (diaphagm/centrifugal) dual friction clutch it could work well with say a 3.91-4.10 gear (where your total first/pull-away) gear has decent torque multiplication to get you launched. But with a traditional 3 finger (bang-bang) clutch like an OEM mopar I don't think it's a good move at all.

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/11/11 01:59 AM

Quote:

....But with a traditional 3 finger (bang-bang) clutch like an OEM mopar I don't think it's a good move at all.

Cool advise thank you.

Why + on the diaphragm and - on the BorgBeck (three finger) or long clutch? I never have liked the engagement of a diaphragm it seems more on or off then a BorgBeck plate which seems more constant and linear to my foot.

Is it the slip or engagement factor your shooting for on that suggestion?

Thanks
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/11/11 04:32 AM

I have had this conversation in the pits at a few UMTR races and some say that an aluminum wheel may lose a little at the hit but it recovers quicker between gears I have a lightened steel unit in my car at only 22# which seems like the best of both worlds.Although my flywheel weighs more than some of the complete assemblies out there from Advanced and Bonifonte custom jobs.
Gus

Attached picture 6410284-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/12/11 10:56 PM

Quote:

I'm close except that I run 4.56 gear. I installed a 13 pound flywheel last winter. I picked up 6 tenths by the end of the year with some launch and shift point adjustments. It worked for me, it MAY work for you.

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/13/11 12:47 AM

Quote:

I'm close except that I run 4.56 gear. I installed a 13 pound flywheel last winter. I picked up 6 tenths by the end of the year with some launch and shift point adjustments. It worked for me, it MAY work for you.

Mind if I ask what pressure plate and disk?
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/13/11 04:30 PM

Quote:

Mind if I ask what pressure plate and disk?

No, I don't mind. I thought that everyone here knew I ran an 11" Centerforce DF.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/14/11 01:19 AM

Kilroy,

Borg & Beck = no centrifugal apply leverage plus the rotating mass is higher than a typical centrifugal clutch/pp set up, I don't think I'd want to bolt a heavy countersprung mass to the aluminum polt holes and try any kind of modulation from a light....A Modern design dual surface friction disc like South Bend would be my choice for something easy to shift fast with high holding force and lighter mass. Higher rotating mass counteracts the reason for going to a light flywheel in the first place.

I haven't switched back to a 4 speed for my 517 yet because I haven't researched enough of the options for clutches, I would consider a light flywheel because I have pretty unholy torque but to my mind you have to have some initial 'give' like a diaphagm clutch would have before the bite.

You have to be careful with centrifugal assists as well (longs can fall into this category too).....during part throttle shifting you could see some slippage because you're not generating ebnough rotating inertia to engage the counterweights.....to me it'd be a tough balancing act to get a 'just right' street strip clutch but there are experts that know a lot more about this than I do....i'm just an expert at shifting

I know what I'm looking for I just don't know if I can get it...but when I'm ready I'll talk to the south bend boyz first!
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/14/11 02:35 AM

I am running a all aluminum fly wheel from ram with the steel insert
and the engine is a street /strip 493 Rb with hemi 8 bolt crank ,and 10.8 compression . solid roller cam,Indy Sr heads.
the trans is 18 spline hemi 4 speed in a stock heavy 69 dodge charger
with 4:10 detroit locker
This is been my experiance First the car launches hard on the street with drag radials , never had the car together with a heavy fly wheel
so i have nothing to compare it to .
the clutch is a dual friction center force works great i love the light pedal feel and shifts so smooth that some time i don't think it got the gear because so quick .
the only thing i feel is at very low speeds less than 2000rpm the car seams to have a pulsing feel to the drive train , i have read that this is a side affect of low speed inertia you are talking about .
But all the other benefits seam good, car revs real quick like a small stock car engine .
Posted By: pressureangle

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/14/11 05:56 PM

I ran a Hayes aluminum/steel insert FW with 3400# 3- finger Direct Connection pressure plate in my '68 Charger 440. It was easy enough to drive with 4.10 gears but required much more care with the left leg. With 3.55's I wouldn't want my driving to be 75% traffic. On my new 'touring' build, I went back to an all steel flywheel, centerforce clutch and a 505" motor. If I was racing any more than infrequently, I'd still be using the aluminum wheel.

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/15/11 12:09 AM

Everyone THANKS for the info and the real world experience, They have really helped me decide! I also searched UMTRNorth.com and searched for aluminum flywheel in the clutch section and came up with some good info too!

Later this spring (once it gets warmer here in IA and I can drop the trans in the drive to my neighbor horror, that when its funnest) I will update with my result.

Keep it coming if you have more. Im glad this sparks some interest with people.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/15/11 02:17 AM

On our 70 RR I had the flywheel lightened but it was starting at 40 pounds. I felt the improvement was worth it. I notice you stated that the Hays site recommended steel flywheel or steel insert. Well, that is what you will have with the aluminum flywheel with the steel insert, so you are good there.

What type of disc is the 930 series? Is it sintered iron? I tried to find it on the Hays site but they do not admit it exists as far as I could find.

We have a Tim Hyatt built slipper clutch based upon Mcleod components. It is adjustable with a sintered iron clutch so you tighten it up for the street, loosen it for the track. We run a 4.3 rear in our RR so I do not know just how bad the 3.55 will be. If you have to slip a sintered iron disc on a regular basis due to the 3.55 it will not last long from what I have been told by people more informed than me. Go to UMTRnorth and give Tim Hyatt a call, his phone number is on there. He might be able to set you up for less than you think, even if it is just the disc. You might be able to get a Mcleod disc through him for the cost of the RAM. The Mcleod I believe are considerably thicker so last longer.

Another thought, you have not mentioned what you have for a pressure plate. That is another part of the equation. Wound up for the street our clutch hits hard but the street tires will always slip to save the rest of the drivetrain. What I like about it is that the clutch will be there at the end of the night, it is tough.

UMTRnorth.com is a great resource.

Was your clutch slipping?

Re: Will aluminum flywheel be a disaster? - 01/15/11 04:40 AM

RAM stuff is kinda hard to bring up on jeg/summit pages. The 930 is a dual friction type disk with organic/metallic compounds. A hybrid of their 900 series and told them the same story as below. I email RAM tech told them my situation they suggested 900 series and said the 900 would be good for 650 HP using their BB plate which specs like mine. and yes the insert in the aluminum wheel will be the fixer for the steel part of it.

I originally tried a diaphragm clutch (2400#lbs) with a 6 paddle disk. It was very chattery which could be lived but it did not hold the power in any gear (even high and not completely even in low), and just to head off speculation yes on both clutches I double and triple check clearancse (disk and t/o bearing) and oil leaks.

Now Im running Hayes BB w/ 2750#lbs static with a 850#lbs @ 6k rpm assists. They supplied an organic disk that has been very tame to say the least. No longer slipping in high or low but when I am really hard on in second or try to heat the tires in a second gear burnout it wont hold then. Otherwise its adequate. This is the reason for the switch
© 2024 Moparts Forums