07/16/08 12:27 PM
07/16/08 12:27 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I have a problem where my 1964 383 Sport Fury just suddenly dies as if someone turned off the ignition. Happens hot or cold. Used to be that it would start right up again. Now it only restarts occasionally if at all. Right now it is dead in my garage. I eliminated it being a fuel problem and when it dies and I leave it in gear the tach gets no reading. I have replaced the ignition switch, key, ballast resistor, coil, points, and condenser. Sometimes 2 times. In all cases these parts appeared to be OK based on resistance and other tests but I replaced them anyway. The distributor is tight - no wobble. When I turn the ignition to ON I get at least 11 volt readings on both sides of the ballast resistor, positive side of coil, negative side of coil, and connection at the points when opened. Sometimes I will get a 5 volt reading from the brown (ignition) and blue (coil) wire side of the ballast resistor. The problem is, no matter what the reading, I get no spark at the points or plugs when I crank the engine and it will not start. Have gone over all wire connections and see no problems. Then all of a sudden it will start and run for a while then die. Could you offer some suggestions on what I could try. I have called in some of my friends on this to recheck everything I have a dozen times just to make sure I did not overlook anything but they are all at a loss. Thanks in advance for any help you all might give me.

Re: Need help with No Spark #89467
07/16/08 12:35 PM
07/16/08 12:35 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

Just wacking away since it seems you covered most of your bases.
Not sure on the run and die, but on the no start, did you check voltage at start rather than on?
When you turn your ignition switch to start, it sends 12 volts to the other side of the ballast resister rather than the normal side which drops the voltage.
So even though you replaced the ignition, perhaps it is a wiring issue that you don't get the 12 volts to start so you have no spark.

Re: Need help with No Spark #89468
07/16/08 01:04 PM
07/16/08 01:04 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Next time it stops try wiggling the bulkhead connector on the firewall. It could be corroded or melted.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Need help with No Spark [Re: GomangoCuda] #89469
07/16/08 01:19 PM
07/16/08 01:19 PM
North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
GTXKen Offline
super gas
GTXKen  Offline
super gas

North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
If its cranking its likely not the bulkhead connection

I know you said you replaced the coil but when you crank the engine and it dosent start is the coil firing to the distributer? If yes then you have a pronblem in the distribuiter.

by the way, why are you running points?

Re: Need help with No Spark [Re: GTXKen] #89470
07/16/08 01:30 PM
07/16/08 01:30 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Quote:

OOPS, Good point. I was thinking electically dead which it clearly is not.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Need help with No Spark [Re: Andrewh] #89471
07/16/08 02:42 PM
07/16/08 02:42 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I just took a reading at both the pos and neg side of coil while cranking. Getting around 10 to 11 volts. To educate me what side drops, the ignition (brown wire)and blue wire to coil side of the resistor or the double blue wire side from the voltage regulator and ignition. Thanks.

Re: Need help with No Spark [Re: GTXKen] #89472
07/16/08 02:50 PM
07/16/08 02:50 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ken, when I have everything together I do not get spark from the main coil wire but I am guessing that this is because the points are not working correctly to cause the coil to function properly. By the way I have tried 2 coils and both checked out OK on the resistance tests. I just received the Petronix ignition conversion and will try to hook up sometime today or tomorrow. I am a little confused about the red wire hookup they say to run to the ignition switch side of the ballast resistor. Would this be the brown and blue wire side with the blue wire leading to the pos side of coil? I think this would be right. Also can I just put all 3 wires together and then plug into the ballast resistor? Thanks for your help.

Re: Need help with No Spark #89473
07/16/08 03:24 PM
07/16/08 03:24 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1964/64BelvedereFurySavoyB.JPG

There is a wire on the same side that goes to the coil. That wire drops. It only comes on in start

The wire on the other side of the ballast resister of the one that goes to the coil stays up in run.
The wire that stays up/on the other side of the resister from the coil wire is the one you need to tap off of for the petronix, and just put the negitive on the neg of the coil.

Re: Need help with No Spark [Re: Andrewh] #89474
07/16/08 04:27 PM
07/16/08 04:27 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the info. I was going to hook it up wrong. If I wanted to convert everything to electronic ignition I have heard there is a conversion kit I could get from a chrysler dealer. Is this true?

Re: Need help with No Spark #89475
07/16/08 04:36 PM
07/16/08 04:36 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

Yes, but that requires a few more parts.
I prefer the pertronix myself. Ran them on my last 2 cars.

Re: Need help with No Spark #89476
07/16/08 04:40 PM
07/16/08 04:40 PM
Alexandria,La.
B
BigTerry Offline
master
BigTerry  Offline
master
B

Alexandria,La.
check the coil center in the dist cap.

Re: Need help with No Spark [Re: GTXKen] #89477
07/16/08 07:05 PM
07/16/08 07:05 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Sorry, ABSOLUTELY incorrect.

There are many wires going through the bulkhead connector, and the "crank" wire, the ign1, and the ign2 are all separate wires. ANY ONE of them could fail. Therefore the starter could crank, but the car not start. The car could crank and fire, but not run once the key is released. The car may not crank, but if you jumper the start relay or solenoid, it may then run--all possibilities in the troublesome bulkhead connector!!!

In your case, you've already thrown a lot of parts at the problem. I can understand the frustration. I'd CERTAINLY look at the firewall connector, and if that doesn't yield results, maybe buy some cheap indicator lights--such as at radio shack, or 12-14V LED's and temprorarily wire them in to the ign 1 and ign 2 circuits, especially one at each side of the ballast. You should be able to tell when you get ign1 (run) and ign2 (start)

Re: Need help with No Spark #89478
07/16/08 09:13 PM
07/16/08 09:13 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks. Will give it a try. I have checked the wires on both sides of the wall and all seems OK. I have wiggled, yanked and generally tried everything to recreate the dieing when I could get it to run. For now I hooked the petronix ignition in and it started right up. A little adjustment to the timing and it was running smooth. Still perplexed as to why this works but the regular points will not. Maybe the direct wiring from the 12 volt side of the ballast resistor has something to do with it. Guess my backup will have to be another petronix unit. I sent an email to petronix as the largest air gap I can get between the rotor and the reader is .018. They want it adjusted to .030. The adjusting hole is not large enough. Do you all think this will impast the operation or shorten the life of the unit? Thanks again for all your help.

Re: Need help with No Spark #89479
07/16/08 09:31 PM
07/16/08 09:31 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Put a jumper wire from the ballast resistor to the battery and see if it will remain running. If it remains running, re-check or jumper the fuseable link as it may be intermitent, same with the bulkhead connection, etc.

If it still dies (assuming the problem is electrical), you just need to verify the ballast resistor, coil, points & condenser and distrubitor (and the wiring connecting it all.)

The only other posability is an intermitent short to ground (maybe a short in the charging system?) or it might be the ignition condensor or noise filter (if equiped) on the coil?