A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

The only "issue" for me is if they lower the Super Comp index to 8.50 my car will no longer be able to make the program. It'll probably run the number. I've never ran it flat out with the new (now broken) motor, but the chassis is only certified to 8.50 so I'd never be able to run under. We all know you need to be able to run under.

I bet there's a few other door car guys running SC that are in the same boat. I'm not interested in rebuilding my chassis so I can get it certed for 7.50.

I wonder who ever decided to do a point for an index that requires a chassis cert that only means anything if you breakout.example an 8.50 class only need the 7.50 cert if they breakout.whereas 8.60 index would give the .10 cushion and 8.50 chassis cars could also run.Same wioth 7.50 class needing a 6.00 cert

I don't know who he is but he has got to be the same person that makes you have the same safety equipment to run 1/8 mile that you need for 1/4 mile.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: hemicop] #873116
12/07/10 08:28 PM
12/07/10 08:28 PM
Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Quote:

I never got one & I'M licensed!?!?!

I found my S/C e-mail in my spam folder. It came about 3 days after my S/G e-mail.

Scott

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: ProStDodge] #873117
12/07/10 10:15 PM
12/07/10 10:15 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
I have been Super Class racing since 1986.. Have 5 Wallys to show for it. I like it but I also think it can be tuned slightly..

1. Bring the indexes down to .50's
2. Make S/ST weight 3000#. Also, actually adhere to the ballast rules so you don't have Pro Stocks in the class adding 800# weight..
3. All classes go to instant green.. Best one yet..

If NHRA just went to the heritage series rules it would get back to the DRIVER, and not electronics.. But I don't think that will happen.. Waaay too much $$$ in electronics sales..

Chris...

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: ProStDodge] #873118
12/07/10 10:34 PM
12/07/10 10:34 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

I never got one & I'M licensed!?!?!

I found my S/C e-mail in my spam folder. It came about 3 days after my S/G e-mail.

Scott

Thank's Scott,
After wondering all week why I got left out, I read your post, then went to the spam box...Sure enough, SST and SG both in there..
I hope they get rid of the SST one class only rule, a bunch of old SG cars are sitting around rusting because people updated to a better car for SG, and can't run both. I think it would bolster the SST count, and also bring in new blood when Junior gets old enough, he'd be jumping into SST instead of stealing Dad's SC Dragster...

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #873119
12/07/10 10:48 PM
12/07/10 10:48 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

I have been Super Class racing since 1986.. Have 5 Wallys to show for it. I like it but I also think it can be tuned slightly..

2. Make S/ST weight 3000#. Also, actually adhere to the ballast rules so you don't have Pro Stocks in the class adding 800# weight..

If NHRA just went to the heritage series rules it would get back to the DRIVER, and not electronics.. But I don't think that will happen.. Waaay too much $$$ in electronics sales..

Chris...

Instant green is called Super Gas, Chris, with that filtered bulb to .370, we see who that favors..the guys with the 80,000 dollar Chassis!!
The .500 Pro Tree is the big equalizer, it's what gives the small tire, slapper bar guys a chance.

And you DON'T want electronics gone, and a drivers race, because then you would need to UPGRADE in that department Yeah...I said it!! Can the Blonde drive??

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #873120
12/07/10 10:54 PM
12/07/10 10:54 PM
Central PA
BartonHemi Offline
BartonHemi  Offline

Central PA
Wish they would go to 9.90 ST 8.90 SG 7.90 SC. No dragsters in ST and SG NO THROTTLE STOPS in ST and SG, tune your car. Make the weights where heavily weighted cars don't fit, and the competition would be much more fun to watch. I'm sure lots don't like it,

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: BartonHemi] #873121
12/07/10 11:15 PM
12/07/10 11:15 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Let me explain why the electronics and t-stops aren't going away...as long as the classes are on an Index.

Typical National or big, busy Divisional, We get 1, maybe 2 time hits Friday, 1 Saturday, then First Round, cold turkey, Sunday Morning...there is NO WAY you can adjust to the index with that few runs, over that large of a weather/time swing without it!! All the competitors would be clamoring for more time hits, and NHRA certainly isn't going to allow that!!
Now, before you start preaching Mechanical stops, weight, short shifting ETC. let me inform you I've raced and tuned 4 different cars without stops...I KNOW first hand how difficult it is, and I'm telling you, car counts would suffer. I seriously doubt anyone else on this thread has ever had thier brother pull 60 pounds of unsecured ballast out of the pasenger side floorboard, 5 cars back from the burn-out box at a National Event!!

6344500-IMAGE0006.JPG (32 downloads)

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: MoparBilly] #873122
12/08/10 12:17 AM
12/08/10 12:17 AM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

I seriously doubt anyone else on this thread has ever had thier brother pull 60 pounds of unsecured ballast out of the pasenger side floorboard, 5 cars back from the burn-out box at a National Event!!

Priceless....

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: ProStDodge] #873123
12/08/10 12:25 AM
12/08/10 12:25 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Yep....slow them down, that will surely fill the stands

Rickster

Actually a "speed limit" would not necessarily slow down the cars, they are still going to run on the index anyway. What is would do is reduce the amount of time they would kill on the throttle stop. After all, the entire purpose of the throttle stop is to use a huge motor to run a slow time with a high MPH. Theoretically giving the "faster" car a slight advantage at the finish line. Limiting the MPH would hopefully mean the super fast cars would drop to the next index class.

Obviously you have never raced any of the classes of which you are commenting on

and Wayne hit the nail on the head.... this is exactly why only s-class racers received the survey

Rickster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: rickstershemi] #873124
12/08/10 07:05 AM
12/08/10 07:05 AM
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Quote:

Obviously you have never raced any of the classes of which you are commenting on

and Wayne hit the nail on the head.... this is exactly why only s-class racers received the survey

Rickster

You are indicating I have never class raced? Did you get an e-mail from NHRA to vote? I know I got two S/G and S/C. I have not raced my own cars lately due to divorce/financial issues, but I still maintain my license and have had a few rides since. I started racing in 1978 and haven't stopped yet. I am so addicted to the sport I happily work for $7.25hr on the div. 3 safety certifications team for 10-14 hr days in the hot or freezing weather, driving 6-8 hours, sleeping in my truck in wal-mart parking lots just to be at the divisional races. I worked for 2 years as the track announcer at Indianapolis Raceway park, have announced at Mopars Nationals, Mopars at the Strip in vegas, Monster Mopar Weekend, and countless other venues. So as a racer, a NHRA employee, and a member of the NHRA Track Announcers guild, I have seen all sides of the arguments. I see no easy answers, but please don't attempt to indicate I don't know whats going on.

Scott

Last edited by ProStDodge; 12/08/10 07:18 AM.
Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: MoparBilly] #873125
12/08/10 08:06 AM
12/08/10 08:06 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Chris...

Instant green is called Super Gas, Chris, with that filtered bulb to .370, we see who that favors..the guys with the 80,000 dollar Chassis!!
The .500 Pro Tree is the big equalizer, it's what gives the small tire, slapper bar guys a chance.

I disagree.. With Auto Start, you can't possibly time the tree. It would eliminate delay boxes, and more interesting to watch..

And you DON'T want electronics gone, and a drivers race, because then you would need to UPGRADE in that department Yeah...I said it!! Can the Blonde drive??

Billy, if I wasn't in this chair, I'd take care of that myself..

Sometimes you just have to try things and see if they work out..

I also think that the rule to not be able to compete in another class if you run S/ST needs to be removed.. (That was the Scotty Richardson Rule)

Chris..

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #873126
12/08/10 12:31 PM
12/08/10 12:31 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Do any of you guys think changing the indexes will solve, improve or change anything? That is the question we were asked, do you want the indexes changed, that was it. Do you honestly think lowering S/G to 8.90 will change things? IMO the only thing it will change is to lighten peoples wallets, exclude many cars and make costs go up. Some will have to spend money to simply be able to run the index, there are a LOT of 9.20 S/G and 8.20 S/C cars out there still. Also the big MPH stuff will continue, it is just gonna cost more to get there. But believe me the money will be spent. May take a year or two for that to happen but believe me it will. Many folks beleive having the MPH advantage is a big enough deal to go out ans spend the money to make it happen and will do what is necessary to make it happen. For those who cant aford to step it up I guess they will just sit on the sidelines or take up fishing. Is that what some of you really want?

BTW ding ding ding, Eric we have a winner But I knew you knew the info question is how many of the nay sayers knew that? Trying to get a heavy car to cut a lite on a .370 tree is not gonna happen. At least not good enough to be consistent. You either need a flywieght car or BIG power to do it. One reason there are so many roadsters and ex pro stockers in S/G. To cut a light WITH numbers in the box and the ability to run big MPH is a by product of these type of cars.

BTW I also agree with most of what MoparBilly said as well. Also with Chris on most points, particularly the ballast rules as they pertain to S/ST. I know of cars with a LOT of weight added to them to make the 2800lbs. I think the weight min needs to stay where it is for the class.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: Al_Alguire] #873127
12/08/10 01:53 PM
12/08/10 01:53 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
I think NHRA should drop the Super Classes for at least 1 year and try running T/S and T/D. And see what the fans like best.At the Big events when the Super Classes run all the fans head for the pits. Don't get the wrong idea about me I stay in the stands and watch them run. "Long live the Sportsman Racers" what ever class they chose to run.

Yes I know T/D & T/S is Bracket Racing But at least give us "Bracket Racers" a chance

The Super Class,Heads-Up,Bracket Racers have got to get together(not to Bash each other)and come up with something that will pull Fans,Specators,Bench Racers out to the track to watch us and start bringing $$$$ to the tracks.Are soon thier will be no tracks for us to race at.

I am a "Bracket Racer" so I try and make all the Big $$$ bracket races. Most are good but could be better.
I had to not only get my new engine dialed in,but get it dialed in to the car as well. So that meant a few trips to the local tracks for some T&T.
I found the same thing on weeks they run Brackets & weeks they run Heads-Up classes. They would be a fair car count for a small track with a few people in the stands. Around 6pm or so there would be some Grudge-Racers start pulling in 6-8, 10 at the most. You would know when they got there,they would want to borrow your tire gauge or battery charger or jack. But here is what "Shocked" me when I pulled out on the track & looked into the stands they were almost full from fans coming out at the end of the day to watch the "Grudge-Racers" . I see this at several tracks. Has anyone else noticed this? That's how I got started in Drag-Racing I bet that's how most of the rest on here got started.

Last edited by MRMOPAR570; 12/08/10 06:03 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: ProStDodge] #873128
12/08/10 07:36 PM
12/08/10 07:36 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

You are indicating I have never class raced? Did you get an e-mail from NHRA to vote? I know I got two S/G and S/C. I have not raced my own cars lately due to divorce/financial issues, but I still maintain my license and have had a few rides since. I started racing in 1978 and haven't stopped yet. I am so addicted to the sport I happily work for $7.25hr on the div. 3 safety certifications team for 10-14 hr days in the hot or freezing weather, driving 6-8 hours, sleeping in my truck in wal-mart parking lots just to be at the divisional races. I worked for 2 years as the track announcer at Indianapolis Raceway park, have announced at Mopars Nationals, Mopars at the Strip in vegas, Monster Mopar Weekend, and countless other venues. So as a racer, a NHRA employee, and a member of the NHRA Track Announcers guild, I have seen all sides of the arguments. I see no easy answers, but please don't attempt to indicate I don't know whats going on.

Scott

Quote:

Actually a "speed limit" would not necessarily slow down the cars, they are still going to run on the index anyway. What is would do is reduce the amount of time they would kill on the throttle stop. After all, the entire purpose of the throttle stop is to use a huge motor to run a slow time with a high MPH. Theoretically giving the "faster" car a slight advantage at the finish line. Limiting the MPH would hopefully mean the super fast cars would drop to the next index class.

Expecting Super Gas cars dropping to Super Comp and competing with pipe racks would not be a popular move....I'll say it once more.... "LEAVE IT ALONE IT AIN'T BROKE" and from your professed affiliation with NHRA I would think you would have to agree that these classes are some of the most competitive classes in NHRA & IHRA period

Rickster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: rickstershemi] #873129
12/09/10 01:29 AM
12/09/10 01:29 AM
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Yes I agree, they are highly competitive classes.

Yes, I voted both S/G and S/C to keep the current indexes.

I would like to see a 7.90 class added to get some of the faster "pipe racks" out of S/C. I don't think it will happen.

I am building a door car right now to compete in S/C against the dragsters, as I love a challenge!

Hope to see every one at PRI this week!

Scott

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: ProStDodge] #873130
12/09/10 09:29 AM
12/09/10 09:29 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Yes I agree, they are highly competitive classes.

Yes, I voted both S/G and S/C to keep the current indexes.

I would like to see a 7.90 class added to get some of the faster "pipe racks" out of S/C. I don't think it will happen.

I am building a door car right now to compete in S/C against the dragsters, as I love a challenge!

Hope to see every one at PRI this week!

Scott

Scott....I would like to see NHRA & IHRA invest in educating the non-racer to the workings of these classes at the events

Rickster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: rickstershemi] #873131
12/11/10 12:21 AM
12/11/10 12:21 AM
las vegas
70AARcuda Offline
master
70AARcuda  Offline
master

las vegas
NHRA 2011 S/ST rule books say...beginning Jan 1, 2012, a nhra accepted lower engine oil-retention device must be used...or belly pan etc...

Tony

70 AARCuda Vitamin C
71 Dart Swinger 360 10.318 @ 128.22(10-04-14 Bakersfield)
71 Demon 360 10.666 @122.41 (01-29-17 @ Las Vegas)
71 Duster 408 (10.29 @ 127.86 3/16/19 Las Vegas)
Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: 70AARcuda] #873132
12/11/10 12:33 AM
12/11/10 12:33 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

NHRA 2011 S/ST rule books say...beginning Jan 1, 2012, a nhra accepted lower engine oil-retention device must be used...or belly pan etc...

good rule

Rickster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: rickstershemi] #873133
12/11/10 12:56 AM
12/11/10 12:56 AM
Renton Washington
T
Triple Threat Offline
master
Triple Threat  Offline
master
T

Renton Washington
I just got my Super Street Specific Survey, as I do have a current S/ST number I took the opportunity to vote how I see fit. Biggest improvement IMO would be to allow the drivers to run multiple classes, no sense in limiting the number of entries. I think the days of Scotty Richardson Dominating every race are over, and its fair to say most divisional level racers aren't new to the sport. I also Voted to leave the index and tree alone, 10.90 and 5 tenths pro tree.

Although I believe the 3rd option; effectively turning S/ST into a 10 second dial your own index class has some potential. It might help increase car counts as you could pick up quite a few local pro/super pro bracket racers at each divisional race, I am not totally sold on the idea. It has some flaws and I could see them totally destroying the class with this rule change.

Currently in Division 6 our car counts are so low they're now allowing Pro and Super Pro to race at the Divisionals. Aside from the absurdly high cost for nearly no payout it works well. I ran pro bracket at the Seattle LODRS event and made it to the semis, final 3 cars, and I still lost money on the deal. My winnings didn't even cover Entry fees.

Gotta love it.

-Dustin
67 Dart, 9 second, 392" G3 Hemi
68 Barracuda 340 F/SA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3