12/06/10 09:58 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

The 2 most boring classes at any NHRA event to watch as a spectator. We usually get up and go to look at other cars or side shows when they run these Throttle stop wonders. Do a big burnout and blast off the line for all of 2 feet before they slow to a crawl and slowly accelerate again to reach the end of the track and 130 MPH...
B O R I N G! Kind of like watching two taxi cabs leave the airport.

Spoken like a man who would see a ton of trailer time in a T/S race... ...Hey I love "wheels up Super Stockers" as much as the next guy...but I got news for you...not eveyone can afford a 25K bullet on the ragged edge to be competitive. I ran S/R for years going 9.90 @ 136....went my share of rounds..and I can care less if the guy in the next lane has a Pro Stocker on the stop.

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: rickstershemi] #873096
12/06/10 09:59 PM
12/06/10 09:59 PM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Quote:

Quote:

I know it will never happen, but I'd like to see "speed limits" on S/C S/G and S/ST. 135 in S/ST, 150 in S/C and 165 in S/C. It's ridiculous that we have 1,200 hp motors in an 8.90 dragster and 1,000 hp motors in "tube frame" S/ST cars.

Yep....slow them down, that will surely fill the stands

Divisional races rarely draw spectators...at National races...spectators only come to watch the pro's....I'm thinking most of the negative comments come from non-super class racers.....duh

Just my humble opinion

Rickster

I'm not speaking about the grandstands. NHRA sportsman racing, as it is, is NEVER going to appeal to the masses and causal spectator. Where I'm coming from is the hobby racer who has to punch a time clock for a living that can't afford the HP the super-class cares are making.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: cudadoug] #873097
12/06/10 10:14 PM
12/06/10 10:14 PM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
This is the third time in the last 6 years that they put out one of these worthless surveys...in addition, the Sportsman Council has made numerous suggestions, none of which has been implemented, and half of the representatives have quit showing up for the meetings.

Throw those letters away, fellas, it is just lip service.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: cudadoug] #873098
12/06/10 10:18 PM
12/06/10 10:18 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know it will never happen, but I'd like to see "speed limits" on S/C S/G and S/ST. 135 in S/ST, 150 in S/C and 165 in S/C. It's ridiculous that we have 1,200 hp motors in an 8.90 dragster and 1,000 hp motors in "tube frame" S/ST cars.

Divisional races rarely draw spectators...at National races...spectators only come to watch the pro's....I'm thinking most of the negative comments come from non-super class racers.....duh

Just my humble opinion

Rickster

I'm not speaking about the grandstands. NHRA sportsman racing, as it is, is NEVER going to appeal to the masses and causal spectator. Where I'm coming from is the hobby racer who has to punch a time clock for a living that can't afford the HP the super-class cares are making.

Not all SST, SG & SC racers are huge dollar operations and there sure is a boatload of racers that seem to enjoy the Super Class competition....like I said before, it ain't broke, so leave it alone

Rickster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: rickstershemi] #873099
12/06/10 10:37 PM
12/06/10 10:37 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
You ALL may as well just face it,,,if you aren't going to race in an NHRA/IHRA PRO class,,,you are going to be a "bracket" racer....S/S,,STK,,all just bracket racers. I know it is hard to swallow, but that is what it ALL boils down too. I don't like it, I know most of you don't like it, but if we are going to race on a budget, we will be racing in some form of handicapped/headstart racing series unless they make classes .10 sec. apart that are 'heads up'.

Let the begin!!

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: CHAPPER] #873100
12/06/10 11:18 PM
12/06/10 11:18 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

You ALL may as well just face it,,,if you aren't going to race in an NHRA/IHRA PRO class,,,you are going to be a "bracket" racer....S/S,,STK,,all just bracket racers. I know it is hard to swallow, but that is what it ALL boils down too. I don't like it, I know most of you don't like it, but if we are going to race on a budget, we will be racing in some form of handicapped/headstart racing series unless they make classes .10 sec. apart that are 'heads up'.

Let the begin!!

Have always loved bracket racing myself

Rickster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: rickstershemi] #873101
12/07/10 12:56 AM
12/07/10 12:56 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Having attended both pro races in Vegas (free passes to boot), and the end of the year divisional, I'll be hitting the divisional only next year. The circus has lost it's appeal with me. I'll be one of the very few in the stands, but my taste in racing has changed.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: rickstershemi] #873102
12/07/10 02:05 AM
12/07/10 02:05 AM
Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
Quote:

Rickster

Actually a "speed limit" would not necessarily slow down the cars, they are still going to run on the index anyway. What is would do is reduce the amount of time they would kill on the throttle stop. After all, the entire purpose of the throttle stop is to use a huge motor to run a slow time with a high MPH. Theoretically giving the "faster" car a slight advantage at the finish line. Limiting the MPH would hopefully mean the super fast cars would drop to the next index class.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: MegaDart] #873103
12/07/10 10:55 AM
12/07/10 10:55 AM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
let's see a 8.90 or 8.50 class with no electronics at all.no spray or boosted motors no controller MSD.no eletric or air shifter.

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: HEMIFRED] #873104
12/07/10 11:29 AM
12/07/10 11:29 AM
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Quote:

let's see a 8.90 or 8.50 class with no electronics at all.no spray or boosted motors no controller MSD.no eletric or air shifter.

That's a MUCH better solution that the speed limits, which was what I was getting at when I said it. No stops = no big HP. Oh and no delay boxes...

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: SCATPACK 1] #873105
12/07/10 11:32 AM
12/07/10 11:32 AM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
B

Quote:

... Throttle stop wonders. Do a big burnout and blast off the line for all of 2 feet before they slow to a crawl... B O R I N G!

I know some of you guys are totally into the TS racing scene, but from a non-participant / spectator perspective, this guy pretty much nailed it.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: BradH] #873106
12/07/10 12:08 PM
12/07/10 12:08 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

... Throttle stop wonders. Do a big burnout and blast off the line for all of 2 feet before they slow to a crawl... B O R I N G!

I know some of you guys are totally into the TS racing scene, but from a non-participant / spectator perspective, this guy pretty much nailed it.

that is why the survey was ONLY sent to PARTICIPANTS, not bench warmers.

I still believe lowering the index's is WAY overdue. Then create a "new" entry level class to replace the old S/St with .500 full tree bracket race no quicker then 10.0, no electronics, tb's etc.

As always NHRA is only concerned about revenue. If they want to double their car counts at Div. races they should allow SuperPro and Pro to compete and pay contingency like IHRA does at some events.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: MegaDart] #873107
12/07/10 12:18 PM
12/07/10 12:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I still believe lowering the index's is WAY overdue. Then create a "new" entry level class to replace the old S/St with .500 full tree bracket race no quicker then 10.0, no electronics, tb's etc.

As always NHRA is only concerned about revenue. If they want to double their car counts at Div. races they should allow SuperPro and Pro to compete and pay contingency like IHRA does at some events.

Faster cars = more saftey items = more $$$ kickback for Tom and the boys

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: MegaDart] #873108
12/07/10 12:22 PM
12/07/10 12:22 PM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely. I'm just one of those people who will go find something else to look at when the TS classes come to the line.

EDIT: I apologize for even having posted on this thread. It was intended for those who are PARTICIPANTS and not to solicit commentary on the nature of Throttle Stop classes from the rest of the world.

Last edited by Blew My Budget!; 12/07/10 12:26 PM.
Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: MegaDart] #873109
12/07/10 12:28 PM
12/07/10 12:28 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
IMO it aint broke so dont fix it..NOTHING done in these classes will put butts in the stands, if you think it will you are sadly mistaken. I think all of us that run these classes get it. BTW the survey is pointless dribble, if they want to make a change they will. Do you honestly think they care what us racers think?

I am one of the those folks that is the target of a lot of the comments in this post. I am on the stop for a LONG time in S/ST. It is the way I choose to race, my money my option. Yes I can run S/G or even S/C if I choose. There are reasons I do not run in those classes. Among them is my car is heavy and trying to kill the tree at a National event in a heavy car on thier pro tree is not gonna happen. Do you guys even know what that tree is for a National event? My guess is most have no idea. Given the current rules I race where I feel my car is competitive. I have a S/C number as well, only to give me the option of running my own local National event, would rather be one of the lonely door cars in S/C as opposed to one of the lone door cars in S/G in a sea of roadsters. At least in S/ST we have some variety in the cars.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: Al_Alguire] #873110
12/07/10 01:10 PM
12/07/10 01:10 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

IMO it aint broke so dont fix it..NOTHING done in these classes will put butts in the stands, if you think it will you are sadly mistaken. I think all of us that run these classes get it. BTW the survey is pointless dribble, if they want to make a change they will. Do you honestly think they care what us racers think?

I am one of the those folks that is the target of a lot of the comments in this post. I am on the stop for a LONG time in S/ST. It is the way I choose to race, my money my option. Yes I can run S/G or even S/C if I choose. There are reasons I do not run in those classes. Among them is my car is heavy and trying to kill the tree at a National event in a heavy car on thier pro tree is not gonna happen. Do you guys even know what that tree is for a National event? My guess is most have no idea. Given the current rules I race where I feel my car is competitive. I have a S/C number as well, only to give me the option of running my own local National event, would rather be one of the lonely door cars in S/C as opposed to one of the lone door cars in S/G in a sea of roadsters. At least in S/ST we have some variety in the cars.

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: Eric] #873111
12/07/10 01:22 PM
12/07/10 01:22 PM
Oregon
sg66mopar Offline OP
pro stock
sg66mopar  Offline OP
pro stock

Oregon
The only "issue" for me is if they lower the Super Comp index to 8.50 my car will no longer be able to make the program. It'll probably run the number. I've never ran it flat out with the new (now broken) motor, but the chassis is only certified to 8.50 so I'd never be able to run under. We all know you need to be able to run under.

I bet there's a few other door car guys running SC that are in the same boat. I'm not interested in rebuilding my chassis so I can get it certed for 7.50.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: Blucuda413] #873112
12/07/10 01:48 PM
12/07/10 01:48 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

They are apparently send out surveys only to those who has numbers/licenses. The survey I got was for SST only. The questions were 10.90, 10.50 or 10.00-10.99(dial your own). I voted to leave it alone.

They are also considering lowering the SC & SG indexes to 7.90 & 8.90. To me that's just another step to make it too expensive!!

I never got one & I'M licensed!?!?!
Besides that, IMO, keep the indexes where they are--most trcks adjust for the elev. anyway. Eliminate the electronics, INCREASE the weight of the cars & set a speed limit. Like the e.t.s, run too fast & you're out--a 130 S/ST car really doesn't need to get rear-ende when his 165/170mph competition gets loose or dynamites the brakes in an attempt toi not break-out. Plus it'll all cut down on costs.
IMO,(like many) NHRA wants to eliminate the hobby or "sportsman" racer and have nothing but Pros running. Hell, they barely tolerate the Super classes as it is!

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: rickstershemi] #873113
12/07/10 02:07 PM
12/07/10 02:07 PM
St. Charles, MO.
S
Slingshot383 Offline
mopar
Slingshot383  Offline
mopar
S

St. Charles, MO.
Change them to 10.50, 9.50, and 8.50, add a new class, 7.50, no more down track throttle stops, and see what happens. It would make the racing a lot more interesting, and it would match the ET's the nostalgia classes run.

1994 Undercover Chassis 125" altered stack injected big block, soon blown and injected Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
Re: NHRA Super Category Survey [Re: sg66mopar] #873114
12/07/10 03:24 PM
12/07/10 03:24 PM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Quote:

The only "issue" for me is if they lower the Super Comp index to 8.50 my car will no longer be able to make the program. It'll probably run the number. I've never ran it flat out with the new (now broken) motor, but the chassis is only certified to 8.50 so I'd never be able to run under. We all know you need to be able to run under.

I bet there's a few other door car guys running SC that are in the same boat. I'm not interested in rebuilding my chassis so I can get it certed for 7.50.

I wonder who ever decided to do a point for an index that requires a chassis cert that only means anything if you breakout.example an 8.50 class only need the 7.50 cert if they breakout.whereas 8.60 index would give the .10 cushion and 8.50 chassis cars could also run.Same wioth 7.50 class needing a 6.00 cert

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3