T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
Feel your pain.
Probably will put a bigger crimp on everybody.
Eventually gov will regulate all of us out of existance.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: theclutcher] #844738
11/03/10 06:29 PM
11/03/10 06:29 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Glad I havn't spent good coin to put my logo on the trailer

I'll be rollin "Plane Jane" and use banners when I reach my destination

Also will have a good convincing B.S. story for "The Man"
All the rules and regs

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: theclutcher] #844739
11/03/10 06:51 PM
11/03/10 06:51 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Feel your pain.

These rules Rick posted are not new, they have been in place for many years.

Every so often they(DOT) will publisize these rules to make people aware of them.

So I don't think the "gov" will run us off the road anytime soon.

BTW...I trailered 17000+ miles this past summer and did not get hasseled.
Yea my truck is huge, but I also cranked over 100K miles on 2 dualies before I bought a toterhome. And was never pulled over in all those years, swear.

Quick story, one Sat night we pulled out of Bunker hill drag strip in Kokmo Ind. We turned left on RT 31 I think and headed south. 11 at night and this road is 2 lanes each way with a grass mediam in the middle. I'm in my dualie and a 40' enclosed trailer behind me. The speed limit is 55 and there are intersections with traffic lights!
I approach one and the light turns yellow, I attemp to stop my rig but it was pushing me right through the intersection on red. 1st car at the cross street is a cop, sure enough he pulls out with his lights on and I pull over. Get my license and reg out and we are sitting there and he never comes up the the window.

We start looking and he pulled the guy over behind me, who was tailgating me through the intersection! I threw it in drive and took off saying if he wants us he'll come after us which he never did.That was the closest I have ever been to being pulled over pulling a trailer.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 11/03/10 07:07 PM.
Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: Challenger 1] #844740
11/03/10 06:56 PM
11/03/10 06:56 PM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
sure seems like they are trying.
every day more pay... for what.
Has there been a big problem with people towing their smaller riggs?
Haven't heard of any issues, they just looking to expand big bro and generate revenue.
Like the e-check, bs useless program.

Last edited by theclutcher; 11/03/10 06:57 PM.
Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: Challenger 1] #844741
11/03/10 06:57 PM
11/03/10 06:57 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Never had a problem and have been just about everywhere east of the Mississippi

Rickster

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: Challenger 1] #844742
11/03/10 07:25 PM
11/03/10 07:25 PM
under a rock
F
flathood Offline
flathood  Offline
F

under a rock
Quote:

Quote:

Feel your pain.

These rules Rick posted are not new, they have been in place for many years.

Every so often they(DOT) will publisize these rules to make people aware of them.

So I don't think the "gov" will run us off the road anytime soon.

BTW...I trailered 17000+ miles this past summer and did not get hasseled.
Yea my truck is huge, but I also cranked over 100K miles on 2 dualies before I bought a toterhome. And was never pulled over in all those years, swear.

Quick story, one Sat night we pulled out of Bunker hill drag strip in Kokmo Ind. We turned left on RT 31 I think and headed south. 11 at night and this road is 2 lanes each way with a grass mediam in the middle. I'm in my dualie and a 40' enclosed trailer behind me. The speed limit is 55 and there are intersections with traffic lights!
I approach one and the light turns yellow, I attemp to stop my rig but it was pushing me right through the intersection on red. 1st car at the cross street is a cop, sure enough he pulls out with his lights on and I pull over. Get my license and reg out and we are sitting there and he never comes up the the window.

We start looking and he pulled the guy over behind me, who was tailgating me through the intersection! I threw it in drive and took off saying if he wants us he'll come after us which he never did.That was the closest I have ever been to being pulled over pulling a trailer.

If you are a non commercial individual with a race car in an enclosed trailer,these DOT rules do not apply.Their rules are for income producing commercial vehicles,so your only governed by your states DMV rules & reg's for the size vehicle and combination weight of your junk.When they ask if it's income producing,just laugh and tell 'em you can't write it off as a dependant,it cost you $$$$,doesn't make you $$$$Toters ARE considered an RV,even with a stacker hangin' off the back

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: theclutcher] #844743
11/03/10 07:29 PM
11/03/10 07:29 PM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline OP
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline OP
I Live Here

Cleveland
Gary. I plan on going stealth. I will not feel bad cheating uncle Sambo. Not yet. We are so small of a shop, and I will be towing my GTX in there anyway. The electric press is mounted to my inside shelf, and boxes will be stacked in front of the GTX. No lettering besides a Moparts and Yellowbullet sticker. I wonder if they have Veteran trailer plates? I'm getting them for my truck next year. Thanks for all of the input , guys. Scotty, you and Sandy have a great compound nearby. How long is your trailer? I love Ridgeville so far..

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: sunroofgtx] #844744
11/03/10 07:57 PM
11/03/10 07:57 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Seems like over regulation to me. But a couple opinions:
Quote:

Screwing Ohio landscapers, racers,

New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 lbs.

I don't see how this screws landscapers? They are running a business, and that is "for hire", isn't it?
Quote:

The newly revised rules extend PUCO’s jurisdiction to regulate vehicle safety to vehicles that are operating on a not-for-hire basis within the state with a GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds.

I don't like the non-business, not-for-hire regulation. All vehicles must be "safe", but these are the ones that really go too far, IMO:

o Drivers must have a medical certificate (NO CDL IS REQUIRED)
But you can drive a Caddilac with medical problems???
o The truck or van must have company marking on each door
If it is "not-for-hire" there shouldn't be a company???
o Maintenance records must be maintained
Correctly maintained should be good enough for personal use. Same rationale about logbooks, etc.
o Must maintain $1 million of insurance when hauling vehicles
Should be the same limit for any personal vehicle, not higher
o When motor vehicles are hauled there are special requirements for securing the load that must be followed
This shouldn't be special, all loads should be adequately secured, not something special.
o A driver qualification file must be maintained – including the application for hire and the medical certificate
Again, they are mixing personal use with busines, "for-hire" regulation.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: flathood] #844745
11/03/10 08:04 PM
11/03/10 08:04 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Earlier this year, late one night, I was coming home from a weekly bracket race in Gainesville and had to go through a police roadblock in Palatka, FL the locals set up at a weigh station. DOT was there too. The local cop asked for the usual stuff: license, registration, insurance.....and CDL . Also asked what I had in the trailer and where I was going. After I told him it was a race car, he forgot about me not being able to find my insurance card at the moment, started spewing out stuff like "Truck is tagged for 19,999, trailer GVW is 12,000 - 31,999, that's way over a CDL requirement. !" He had to be a rookie as he started acting like a little kid who just found the top prize in an Easter egg hunt - seriously! So he instructed me to pull forward and to the side where the DOT people were. The DOT guy asks what 's going on and I start to explain. Then the rookie runs up with a "look what I got, look what I got " attitude. The DOT guys asks a few more questions, including if I'm a business, or something to that affect. Needless to say, I say "No sir!". The rookie kept trying to explain things to the DOT guy. I started to try and explain that the rookie was way off base and why, but after the DOT guy gave back my papers and waved me forward twice, I got the hint, said "Thank you, sir!" and went on my way.

What I'm trying to say is that there are officers out there who are misinformed, as well as some that want to nail someone no matter what. Luckily, the DOT guy was very reasonable and understanding.

My rig is a 2004 Dodge Quad Cab dually with a 26' tag Pace trailer. Just a few small racing decals on the lower sides.
I weighed it at a truck stop with as much equipment and fuel as it could carry and it came in between 19,000 and 19,500 lbs. FL law says tag needs to cover combined truck and trailer weight, so with a 19,999 tag I'm plenty "safe". Never been pulled over otherwise. When I went through an Agriculture station and weigh station in FL shortly after getting the enclosed trailer, the guys there gave me a dirty look and waved me on! Never stopped at another one.

What's ironic is that you hear about enclosed trailers, some plain and some decaled-up, getting pulled over from time-to-time. But I have yet to hear about a guy towing an open trailer with decals and advertising plastered all over his race car in plain view for everyone to see getting pulled over!

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: sunroofgtx] #844746
11/03/10 08:47 PM
11/03/10 08:47 PM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
Thanks for compliment.
Trailer is 8X26. 440 jim hitting nail right on head.
Mixing of business and personal use in regs.
totally in conflict with each other leaving Barney with loaded gun.
Have class B cdl that was good till I read this infuriating post....
Ridgeville not bad at all.
Good officials, reasonable inspectors, somewhat lax enforcement of homeowner laws.
Roads average for Oh. Increasing taxes (again oh issue).
Crappy weather from now till April.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: theclutcher] #844747
11/03/10 10:14 PM
11/03/10 10:14 PM
Rudolph, Ohio
moparguy7074 Offline
top fuel
moparguy7074  Offline
top fuel

Rudolph, Ohio
I could be wrong, but I think some people are mis-interpreting the private carrier/not for hire rule. Granted this is only my interpretation, but it seems to me that that would cover truck and trailer combos that only haul equipment/goods for the company labeled on the side of the truck. An example would be an excavating company. They haul their own equipment, and arent typically hired to haul another company's. Just my .

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: moparguy7074] #844748
11/03/10 10:57 PM
11/03/10 10:57 PM
Aurora, Oh.
M
max_maniac Offline
master
max_maniac  Offline
master
M

Aurora, Oh.
Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think some people are mis-interpreting the private carrier/not for hire rule. Granted this is only my interpretation, but it seems to me that that would cover truck and trailer combos that only haul equipment/goods for the company labeled on the side of the truck. An example would be an excavating company. They haul their own equipment, and arent typically hired to haul another company's. Just my .

ding ding ding ---- we have a winner private carrier/not for hire is still referring to a commercial vehicle for business.

Russ

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: max_maniac] #844749
11/04/10 10:11 AM
11/04/10 10:11 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline OP
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline OP
I Live Here

Cleveland
I specifically asked the lawman, on the phone, in charge of the Puco department, at the Highway State Partrol Headquarters, about my 7000 lb truck, pulling my antique car to car shows, with zero graphics on the enclosed 28' trailer. He told me if it is used for commerce, or appears to look like to be used for commerce, expect to be checked.

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: max_maniac] #844750
11/04/10 11:22 AM
11/04/10 11:22 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
After my run in with the state police a few years back,I up my daully to a class-8,inspect my tri-axle gooseneck trailer 2 time a year.I have a CDL and medical card.I don't know what else they would want.I found it is up to the disgression of the officer that stops you.I also pull into the scales.I haven't kept a log yet,but if it is required I may do so.We very seldom travel more than 4 hours away from home.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: B G Racing] #844751
11/05/10 07:46 AM
11/05/10 07:46 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

I don't know what else they would want.

Maybe random drug tests within an 8 hour notice, which gets complicated when you are an owner operator, and if you miss the drug test for whatever reason its is considered a positive with one year suspension.

Written pre trip walk around safety checks required and keep on file gor years.

All maintenence records.

Actually all records must be keep and all files and ready for DOT safety audit during normal hours, and if anything found lacking, your operation/ drivder is placed "out of service", and that violation then bexomes`serious.

The law doesn't distinguish between an operator with one truck that drives a 1,000 miles` a year and one with 5 trucks and drives a million miles regarding keeping all the same paperwork records.

When they decide to drop the hammer, it will hurt.

I suspect with state budget cuts, we are getting a little breather in enforcement actions, but that will likely soon change.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: jcc] #844752
11/05/10 08:28 AM
11/05/10 08:28 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
I think it's a easy way to get more revenue for the state.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio [Re: B G Racing] #844753
11/05/10 08:52 AM
11/05/10 08:52 AM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
Bingo.
It is what I like to call a " tax cut "
The money has to come from somewhere , and they aren't going to cut budgets as long as they can come up with the revenue.
It is like a dysfunctional family budget.
The plant cut the overtime months ago , but Ma and Pa still keep going to the movin picture shows every Friday and Saturday night like nothing has changed.
My experience with enforcement in a commercial vehicle spans nearly 30 years and the one thing you can count on is inconsistency.
I have had enforcement officers argue at the back of my trailer over what the law means.
And I have had senior officers give young Pups the " I'd like a word with you " finger motion right before they told me to have a nice day and sent me on my way.
But the one change that I have noticed in the last few years is the run towards the wallet.And I have a 725.00 ball point pen courtesy of South Dakota to prove it.
In their defense , I was overweight on the trailer.
In mine , the same fine in North Dakota is less than 100.00

Page 2 of 2 1 2