Moparts

New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio

Posted By: sunroofgtx

New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 02:17 AM

Is this a re-post? Sorry if it is.. This is really going to open a can of worms. Rules are rules. We can't fight, just have to abide, but man it's going to suck.. Truck and trailer combined weight. Screwing Ohio landscapers, racers,

http://fullerisford.wordpress.com/2010/0...1-to-26000-lbs/

New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 lbs.
The Public Utilities Commsission (PUCO) has recently revised its rules for motor carrier transportation safety. The newly revised rules extend PUCO’s jurisdiction to regulate vehicle safety to vehicles that are operating on a not-for-hire basis within the state with a GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds.

Active enforcement of the revised rules will not begin until January 1, 2011. No forfeitures or monetary penalties will be issued until this date unless violations are egregious. PUCO and the Ohio State Patrol have been instructed to use these inspections as opportunities to educate the driver/carrier.

The following is a summary of the requirements if the GVWR is 10,001 or more:

o Drivers must have a medical certificate (NO CDL IS REQUIRED)
o The truck or van must have company marking on each door
o Fire extinguisher must be accessible and secured
o Annual vehicle inspection
o Vehicle equipment must be in proper working order
o Maintenance records must be maintained
o Must maintain $1 million of insurance when hauling vehicles
o When motor vehicles are hauled there are special requirements for securing the load that must be followed
o A driver qualification file must be maintained – including the application for hire and the medical certificate
o Log books must be maintained, unless:
o If the vehicle(s) is within 150 miles of the business no log book needs to be maintained IF
o The driver returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours;
o The driver does not drive more than 11 hours;
o The driver must have at least 10 hours off between 12 hour shifts; and
o The company maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate time records.
If my vehicle has a GVWR of 10,001 or more and crosses state lines to make pick ups or deliveries, what else must be done?

o The vehicle must have a USDOT number if the vehicle crosses state lines
o The application for a USDOT number will require a safety audit from the PUCO
o Information on obtaining a USDOT number may be found at www.fmcsa.dot.gov
How can I assure that my company’s vehicles do not fall under these new rules?

o Ensure your vehicle GVWR is less than 10,001 pounds if possible. HOWEVER, BE SURE THAT ANY LOAD DOES NOT EXCEED THE VEHICLE’S LOAD CAPACITY!
o If you are using a truck and trailer combination to move cars or motorcycles/APV’s you may not be able to avoid these new rules as the GVWR of the truck and trailer must be less than 10,001 pounds.
Vehicles and drivers that are found to be in noncompliance can be pulled from service on the spot. Additionally, monetary fines may be issued by PUCO. Active enforcement will begin January 1, 2011.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26k - 11/03/10 02:35 AM

sounds like a good reason not to live in Ohio one more state to add to my list
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26k - 11/03/10 02:46 AM

I believe if you look into this you will find exemptions for recreational use vehicles

Rickster
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26k - 11/03/10 02:49 AM

I do not read that to apply to private vehicles

Russ
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26k - 11/03/10 02:54 AM

Quote:

I believe if you look into this you will find exemptions for recreational use vehicles

Rickster

That's correct, what am I gonna put on my doors? Gary's RV?? lol

Re: New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26k - 11/03/10 02:57 AM

I hope not, but if a trailer is over 3k, it's licensed as a commercial trailer.Page 5 states we are Private carriers. Diesel Ram = 7k + car = 11k + 28' trailer = Private carrier over 10k..

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/emplibrary/file...June%202010.pdf
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26k - 11/03/10 04:33 AM

SPARKY your commercial I send bail
Posted By: jcc

Re: New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26k - 11/03/10 04:47 AM

Quote:

I do not read that to apply to private vehicles

Russ

You and many others fell for the trap. Check archives on the topic.

Anyway, first "they" will go after all the commercial vehicles for reasons that escape me, and most will look the other way, and use the excuse they are an "RV", and then someday some SA will use the valid reason, "hey an unsafe RV can kill just like a commercial vehicle", and all the commercial vehicle ownsers will look the other way. We get the regulations we deserve/don't fight. So much for small gov.

Me, I'd compromise and increase the cut-off from 10K to 26K, but unfortunately to many little dictators running around would have to give up some of thier new found authority.

Re: New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26k - 11/03/10 12:16 PM

Quote:

I hope not, but if a trailer is over 3k, it's licensed as a commercial trailer.Page 5 states we are Private carriers. Diesel Ram = 7k + car = 11k + 28' trailer = Private carrier over 10k..

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/emplibrary/file...June%202010.pdf

"Private Commercial Carrier"

I work for a company that has their own "Private Fleet" of trucks that are NOT for HIRE and that is what they are referring to

Russ
Posted By: fasthawk6

Re: New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26k - 11/03/10 12:47 PM

I have already been stopped and ticketed in the company truck. I was told at the time this is not for personal stuff as in rvs, boats and things like that.I am pertty sure anything over 26001k must have cdl.I was told that they were cracking down on people useing pickups and trailers to move product to cut cost.Most of the trucks i see are way to small for want they are doing with them.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 01:08 PM

Yup, as soon as you put anything on the outside of your trailer or truck, your commercial.

When I had a big time sponsor, they asked about lettering my trailer. I explained to them the requirements and asked for a extra 15K for the record keeping. The trailer stayed plain.

I have been employing hazmat drivers since 1984. PUCO spends 3 days here auditing my records every 3 years.

I have towed over 150K miles with my race equipment in the last 15 years and have never been hassled.

But I don't have billy bob racing down the side of my trailer either.
Posted By: sixpackjeff

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 01:42 PM

This does not apply if the OWNER of the vehicle is driving it. I recently changed my duallie tags from Comm'l Truck to passenger car. If the tow vehicle is licensed in an individual's name, and that individual is driving, this doesn't apply. RVs and trailers can still be cited for length limits (stay out of Illinois) and any vehicle can be pulled over if it appears overweight or dragging a**. The name thing on the side is true. Barney can pull you over to verify things if he's having a bad day.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 02:20 PM

Refreshing news, guys. Just got off of the phone with Johnny Law. They said if their is ANY lettering on the trailer,if the trailer is used for commerce(selling parts, any parts), and if the racecar is used as a business, the vehicles fall into these regulations.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 02:20 PM

another reason to leave Blohio.
They institute garbage like this while the caravans of mexican crap just waltz thru the boarder.
More pain on small biz like yours.
So I cant sell my used parts out of the back of trailer?
Blohio, the downward spiral continues.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 02:38 PM

If you think leaving Ohio is the solution, Mexico is your solution, these are US laws, the states just enforce them, slowly but nevertheless on the way.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 03:41 PM

mexico not the solution.
just fed up with ohio bs vs some of the stuff going on throughout rest of country.
Never said anything about mexico being good.
on the contrary.
Stop the cheap flow of goods on dilapidated trucks.
Seal the border with landmines, hell with fences.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 06:58 PM

I'm not Ohio, but here's something to think about:

I heard directly from an Indiana DOT enforcer, in a DOT-related training class, within the last year, that:
if you are using the vehicle to make money you fall under their blanket of commercial vehicle.

So if you're hauling a car to the scrapyard and will receive $ for it, you are commercial at that point.

He also said having 'not for hire' on your door does not make any difference.

Lots of gray area involved, and some of you guys will fall under the net of commercial unless you're prepared to spin a convincing story to The Man if he pulls you over.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 09:24 PM

Quote:

I'm not Ohio, but here's something to think about:

I heard directly from an Indiana DOT enforcer, in a DOT-related training class, within the last year, that:
if you are using the vehicle to make money you fall under their blanket of commercial vehicle.

So if you're hauling a car to the scrapyard and will receive $ for it, you are commercial at that point.

He also said having 'not for hire' on your door does not make any difference.

Lots of gray area involved, and some of you guys will fall under the net of commercial unless you're prepared to spin a convincing story to The Man if he pulls you over.

Everyone knows if you win at racing, then you get $$. So that's why you don't put joe blow racing down the side of your trailer.

Your right, not for hire don't mean anything except, look at me.

I have enjoyed many of road trips in our great country pulling my 49' enclosed trailer and have never been pulled over. I don't speed and take care of my equipment. It's clean and polished before I leave my shop. It has worked for me in many different states. They don't hassel operators with good maintained equipment.

If your stuff looks like you don't do anything to it from week to week then they are looking for you.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 09:24 PM

It's going to be a tough pill to swallow. I only set up at 4 shows a year, selling and making wire sets. Going to change a lot of thinking for those shows.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 10:01 PM

I suggest a clean white trailer Rick, and use banners at the races on the outside of your trailer.

Otherwise get with the program and maintain records for the DOT. Although I wouldn't recomend it unless your gonna be traveling full time.

It's not impossible to maintain records, I do it everyday. It's not cheap either.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 10:07 PM

Feel your pain.
Probably will put a bigger crimp on everybody.
Eventually gov will regulate all of us out of existance.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 10:29 PM

Glad I havn't spent good coin to put my logo on the trailer

I'll be rollin "Plane Jane" and use banners when I reach my destination

Also will have a good convincing B.S. story for "The Man"
All the rules and regs

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 10:51 PM

Quote:

Feel your pain.

These rules Rick posted are not new, they have been in place for many years.

Every so often they(DOT) will publisize these rules to make people aware of them.

So I don't think the "gov" will run us off the road anytime soon.

BTW...I trailered 17000+ miles this past summer and did not get hasseled.
Yea my truck is huge, but I also cranked over 100K miles on 2 dualies before I bought a toterhome. And was never pulled over in all those years, swear.

Quick story, one Sat night we pulled out of Bunker hill drag strip in Kokmo Ind. We turned left on RT 31 I think and headed south. 11 at night and this road is 2 lanes each way with a grass mediam in the middle. I'm in my dualie and a 40' enclosed trailer behind me. The speed limit is 55 and there are intersections with traffic lights!
I approach one and the light turns yellow, I attemp to stop my rig but it was pushing me right through the intersection on red. 1st car at the cross street is a cop, sure enough he pulls out with his lights on and I pull over. Get my license and reg out and we are sitting there and he never comes up the the window.

We start looking and he pulled the guy over behind me, who was tailgating me through the intersection! I threw it in drive and took off saying if he wants us he'll come after us which he never did.That was the closest I have ever been to being pulled over pulling a trailer.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 10:56 PM

sure seems like they are trying.
every day more pay... for what.
Has there been a big problem with people towing their smaller riggs?
Haven't heard of any issues, they just looking to expand big bro and generate revenue.
Like the e-check, bs useless program.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 10:57 PM

Never had a problem and have been just about everywhere east of the Mississippi

Rickster
Posted By: flathood

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Feel your pain.

These rules Rick posted are not new, they have been in place for many years.

Every so often they(DOT) will publisize these rules to make people aware of them.

So I don't think the "gov" will run us off the road anytime soon.

BTW...I trailered 17000+ miles this past summer and did not get hasseled.
Yea my truck is huge, but I also cranked over 100K miles on 2 dualies before I bought a toterhome. And was never pulled over in all those years, swear.

Quick story, one Sat night we pulled out of Bunker hill drag strip in Kokmo Ind. We turned left on RT 31 I think and headed south. 11 at night and this road is 2 lanes each way with a grass mediam in the middle. I'm in my dualie and a 40' enclosed trailer behind me. The speed limit is 55 and there are intersections with traffic lights!
I approach one and the light turns yellow, I attemp to stop my rig but it was pushing me right through the intersection on red. 1st car at the cross street is a cop, sure enough he pulls out with his lights on and I pull over. Get my license and reg out and we are sitting there and he never comes up the the window.

We start looking and he pulled the guy over behind me, who was tailgating me through the intersection! I threw it in drive and took off saying if he wants us he'll come after us which he never did.That was the closest I have ever been to being pulled over pulling a trailer.

If you are a non commercial individual with a race car in an enclosed trailer,these DOT rules do not apply.Their rules are for income producing commercial vehicles,so your only governed by your states DMV rules & reg's for the size vehicle and combination weight of your junk.When they ask if it's income producing,just laugh and tell 'em you can't write it off as a dependant,it cost you $$$$,doesn't make you $$$$Toters ARE considered an RV,even with a stacker hangin' off the back

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 11:29 PM

Gary. I plan on going stealth. I will not feel bad cheating uncle Sambo. Not yet. We are so small of a shop, and I will be towing my GTX in there anyway. The electric press is mounted to my inside shelf, and boxes will be stacked in front of the GTX. No lettering besides a Moparts and Yellowbullet sticker. I wonder if they have Veteran trailer plates? I'm getting them for my truck next year. Thanks for all of the input , guys. Scotty, you and Sandy have a great compound nearby. How long is your trailer? I love Ridgeville so far..
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/03/10 11:57 PM

Seems like over regulation to me. But a couple opinions:
Quote:

Screwing Ohio landscapers, racers,

New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 lbs.

I don't see how this screws landscapers? They are running a business, and that is "for hire", isn't it?
Quote:

The newly revised rules extend PUCO’s jurisdiction to regulate vehicle safety to vehicles that are operating on a not-for-hire basis within the state with a GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds.

I don't like the non-business, not-for-hire regulation. All vehicles must be "safe", but these are the ones that really go too far, IMO:

o Drivers must have a medical certificate (NO CDL IS REQUIRED)
But you can drive a Caddilac with medical problems???
o The truck or van must have company marking on each door
If it is "not-for-hire" there shouldn't be a company???
o Maintenance records must be maintained
Correctly maintained should be good enough for personal use. Same rationale about logbooks, etc.
o Must maintain $1 million of insurance when hauling vehicles
Should be the same limit for any personal vehicle, not higher
o When motor vehicles are hauled there are special requirements for securing the load that must be followed
This shouldn't be special, all loads should be adequately secured, not something special.
o A driver qualification file must be maintained – including the application for hire and the medical certificate
Again, they are mixing personal use with busines, "for-hire" regulation.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/04/10 12:04 AM

Earlier this year, late one night, I was coming home from a weekly bracket race in Gainesville and had to go through a police roadblock in Palatka, FL the locals set up at a weigh station. DOT was there too. The local cop asked for the usual stuff: license, registration, insurance.....and CDL . Also asked what I had in the trailer and where I was going. After I told him it was a race car, he forgot about me not being able to find my insurance card at the moment, started spewing out stuff like "Truck is tagged for 19,999, trailer GVW is 12,000 - 31,999, that's way over a CDL requirement. !" He had to be a rookie as he started acting like a little kid who just found the top prize in an Easter egg hunt - seriously! So he instructed me to pull forward and to the side where the DOT people were. The DOT guy asks what 's going on and I start to explain. Then the rookie runs up with a "look what I got, look what I got " attitude. The DOT guys asks a few more questions, including if I'm a business, or something to that affect. Needless to say, I say "No sir!". The rookie kept trying to explain things to the DOT guy. I started to try and explain that the rookie was way off base and why, but after the DOT guy gave back my papers and waved me forward twice, I got the hint, said "Thank you, sir!" and went on my way.

What I'm trying to say is that there are officers out there who are misinformed, as well as some that want to nail someone no matter what. Luckily, the DOT guy was very reasonable and understanding.

My rig is a 2004 Dodge Quad Cab dually with a 26' tag Pace trailer. Just a few small racing decals on the lower sides.
I weighed it at a truck stop with as much equipment and fuel as it could carry and it came in between 19,000 and 19,500 lbs. FL law says tag needs to cover combined truck and trailer weight, so with a 19,999 tag I'm plenty "safe". Never been pulled over otherwise. When I went through an Agriculture station and weigh station in FL shortly after getting the enclosed trailer, the guys there gave me a dirty look and waved me on! Never stopped at another one.

What's ironic is that you hear about enclosed trailers, some plain and some decaled-up, getting pulled over from time-to-time. But I have yet to hear about a guy towing an open trailer with decals and advertising plastered all over his race car in plain view for everyone to see getting pulled over!

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/04/10 12:47 AM

Thanks for compliment.
Trailer is 8X26. 440 jim hitting nail right on head.
Mixing of business and personal use in regs.
totally in conflict with each other leaving Barney with loaded gun.
Have class B cdl that was good till I read this infuriating post....
Ridgeville not bad at all.
Good officials, reasonable inspectors, somewhat lax enforcement of homeowner laws.
Roads average for Oh. Increasing taxes (again oh issue).
Crappy weather from now till April.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/04/10 02:14 AM

I could be wrong, but I think some people are mis-interpreting the private carrier/not for hire rule. Granted this is only my interpretation, but it seems to me that that would cover truck and trailer combos that only haul equipment/goods for the company labeled on the side of the truck. An example would be an excavating company. They haul their own equipment, and arent typically hired to haul another company's. Just my .

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/04/10 02:57 AM

Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think some people are mis-interpreting the private carrier/not for hire rule. Granted this is only my interpretation, but it seems to me that that would cover truck and trailer combos that only haul equipment/goods for the company labeled on the side of the truck. An example would be an excavating company. They haul their own equipment, and arent typically hired to haul another company's. Just my .

ding ding ding ---- we have a winner private carrier/not for hire is still referring to a commercial vehicle for business.

Russ

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/04/10 02:11 PM

I specifically asked the lawman, on the phone, in charge of the Puco department, at the Highway State Partrol Headquarters, about my 7000 lb truck, pulling my antique car to car shows, with zero graphics on the enclosed 28' trailer. He told me if it is used for commerce, or appears to look like to be used for commerce, expect to be checked.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/04/10 03:22 PM

After my run in with the state police a few years back,I up my daully to a class-8,inspect my tri-axle gooseneck trailer 2 time a year.I have a CDL and medical card.I don't know what else they would want.I found it is up to the disgression of the officer that stops you.I also pull into the scales.I haven't kept a log yet,but if it is required I may do so.We very seldom travel more than 4 hours away from home.

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/05/10 11:46 AM

Quote:

I don't know what else they would want.

Maybe random drug tests within an 8 hour notice, which gets complicated when you are an owner operator, and if you miss the drug test for whatever reason its is considered a positive with one year suspension.

Written pre trip walk around safety checks required and keep on file gor years.

All maintenence records.

Actually all records must be keep and all files and ready for DOT safety audit during normal hours, and if anything found lacking, your operation/ drivder is placed "out of service", and that violation then bexomes`serious.

The law doesn't distinguish between an operator with one truck that drives a 1,000 miles` a year and one with 5 trucks and drives a million miles regarding keeping all the same paperwork records.

When they decide to drop the hammer, it will hurt.

I suspect with state budget cuts, we are getting a little breather in enforcement actions, but that will likely soon change.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/05/10 12:28 PM

I think it's a easy way to get more revenue for the state.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: New Regs For Tow vehicles GVWR of 10k to 26k Ohio - 11/05/10 12:52 PM

Bingo.
It is what I like to call a " tax cut "
The money has to come from somewhere , and they aren't going to cut budgets as long as they can come up with the revenue.
It is like a dysfunctional family budget.
The plant cut the overtime months ago , but Ma and Pa still keep going to the movin picture shows every Friday and Saturday night like nothing has changed.
My experience with enforcement in a commercial vehicle spans nearly 30 years and the one thing you can count on is inconsistency.
I have had enforcement officers argue at the back of my trailer over what the law means.
And I have had senior officers give young Pups the " I'd like a word with you " finger motion right before they told me to have a nice day and sent me on my way.
But the one change that I have noticed in the last few years is the run towards the wallet.And I have a 725.00 ball point pen courtesy of South Dakota to prove it.
In their defense , I was overweight on the trailer.
In mine , the same fine in North Dakota is less than 100.00
© 2024 Moparts Forums