Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX
Quote:

Quote:

Is that the way these things go - only find out at startup - or can they die while the motor is running, too?

the ones I've had go bad started misfiring on multiple cyls as soon as I started it up & had to gun it to limp it home & people thinking their hearing gunfire or firecrackers

I had an Orange box that would cut out with no rhyme or reason while driving. This one time it cut out, it fired back up before I had time to react while cruising along at almost 70MPH......

My ears rang for a few days.

As an aside, this was an old(er) Orange box from the late '80's (if I had to guess). By the time it started cutting out, it had logged well over 100K miles and had been on at least 4 different cars.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: ECU died again [Re: Sinitro] #833139
10/19/10 11:28 PM
10/19/10 11:28 PM
California
D
dg_dodge Offline OP
dg_dodge  Offline OP
D

California
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just wanted to add, make sure the ECU has a good GROUND. A poor ground will shorten the life of an ECU too. On my drivers, I run one of those braided ground straps from a mounting bolt on the ECU to the engine block.

Is the voltage regulator suppose to be grounded also and not loose to the firewall or does it make any difference ?

logan426

Yes, the voltage regulator must be grounded. Also be sure to sand off the paint on its back side so it is metal-to-metal when titened down...

----

Do you mean to sand the firewall where the ECU/VR are mounted? I think I remember that the back of the ECU is just plain steel??

Re: ECU died again [Re: dg_dodge] #833140
10/19/10 11:37 PM
10/19/10 11:37 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Do you mean to sand the firewall where the ECU/VR are mounted?

correct and using washers will let you sand less area for a nicer install & raising the ECU up w washers or mounted on a bracket greatly enhances the cooling/longevity of it

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Page 2 of 2 1 2