Moparts

ECU died again

Posted By: dg_dodge

ECU died again - 10/19/10 12:28 AM

Hi Guys,

It looks like the ECU box has died again on my 1970 Challenger (this one lasted about 9 months). Previously, I had the Mopar Orange box, which lasted about 5 years and died in Jan of this year without any warning. To get the car back home that time, I went to the nearest parts store and bought what they had in stock, which was a cheap looking blue one (less than $30).

So, my first question for the electrical experts out there is - Is this normal to have an ECU go out so soon? Could there be a gremlin lurking somewhere in my system or are these units just kinda crappy? The day it failed I was just out for a drive and got home and turned off the ignition and that was the last time I could get spark out of it.

Secondly, I need to buy a new ECU. I've read some bad stories about the Orange boxes and my experience with the low end replacement wasn't good either. Should I get a chrome box or just try another Orange one?

Thanks a lot for any help or tips!
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 12:44 AM

I have read the same information about the orange box. Seems that you did have better luck with yours. I would go with the chrome box just from the same things you have read.
I have a secondary market one presently on mine but will be getting a chrome box and keep the present one as a spare.
Craig
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 01:07 AM

no gremlins, the newer orange boxes are outsourced & have a fair amt of failures. I would suggest another parts house ECU like the one you bought and for some gain spend your money on a hotter coil/ballast combo for more spark energy as the ECU is pretty much just a on/off switch for the coil pri current like the old breaker points were . If not then the MP chrome or talk to Don @FBO
Posted By: Mike H

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 01:17 AM

I agree with Rapid Robert. Give Don at HBO a call, he will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the ecus. Basically, both the orange and chrome units are Chinese junk.

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 01:21 AM

Thanks a lot guys for the info. Anyone have the contact info for Don? I've been off the forum for awhile so might have missed any postings of his.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 01:28 AM

When did the orange and chrome boxes start coming from across-the-pond ?

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 01:35 AM

I knew the oranges were made in Mexico (no pond) but I didn't know the MP chrome ones were outsourced now too. Haven't heard of them failing very much though
Posted By: dOoC

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 01:41 AM

The ORANGES have been made in Mexico always ? ... I got some of the first "kits" Mopar put together and I don't remember any import stickers on them.

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 02:52 AM

Quote:

The ORANGES have been made in Mexico always ? ... I got some of the first "kits" Mopar put together and I don't remember any import stickers on them.

I think just lately (not sure how long though)
Posted By: Chal340

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 11:09 AM

Here : http://www.4secondsflat.com/a688specs.html
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 12:15 PM

Just wanted to add, make sure the ECU has a good GROUND. A poor ground will shorten the life of an ECU too. On my drivers, I run one of those braided ground straps from a mounting bolt on the ECU to the engine block.

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 12:26 PM

I dunno I lucky I guess I have yet to have an issue w/ a mopar orange box. Check you grounds and check your voltage across the system. Sorry about the problems they sux!
Posted By: superbeedave

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 02:13 PM

I had my orange box for 13 years then I decided to put a higher amp alternator on then Whamo!
It killed it in 5 mins. Funny thing is it would start right up after cooling down for 10 mins. then it would quite again 30 seconds later. Go figure?

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 03:46 PM

Thanks much for the info guys. Both times mine have died, I've only found out when trying to start up (no spark). Is that the way these things go - only find out at startup - or can they die while the motor is running, too?
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 04:19 PM

Get a stock factory 4 post off a late 80's Dodge truck. I have had very little trouble with a factory box not the MP box.
Posted By: 360904

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 07:44 PM

Rick has some nice ones for sale in the a body parts section, American made
Posted By: chache876

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 07:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks much for the info guys. Both times mine have died, I've only found out when trying to start up (no spark). Is that the way these things go - only find out at startup - or can they die while the motor is running, too?

thats how a lot of electrical parts seem to fail in my experience. they'll get you to where you need to go, but don't count on them getting you back home
Posted By: MLR426

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 08:09 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to add, make sure the ECU has a good GROUND. A poor ground will shorten the life of an ECU too. On my drivers, I run one of those braided ground straps from a mounting bolt on the ECU to the engine block.

Is the voltage regulator suppose to be grounded also and not loose to the firewall or does it make any difference ?

logan426
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: ECU died again - 10/19/10 08:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is the voltage regulator suppose to be grounded also and not loose to the firewall or does it make any difference ?

logan426

Yes, the voltage regulator must be grounded. Also be sure to sand off the paint on its back side so it is metal-to-metal when titened down...

Just my $0.02...

Re: ECU died again - 10/20/10 12:03 AM

Quote:

Is that the way these things go - only find out at startup - or can they die while the motor is running, too?

the ones I've had go bad started misfiring on multiple cyls as soon as I started it up & had to gun it to limp it home & people thinking their hearing gunfire or firecrackers
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: ECU died again - 10/20/10 02:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that the way these things go - only find out at startup - or can they die while the motor is running, too?

the ones I've had go bad started misfiring on multiple cyls as soon as I started it up & had to gun it to limp it home & people thinking their hearing gunfire or firecrackers

I had an Orange box that would cut out with no rhyme or reason while driving. This one time it cut out, it fired back up before I had time to react while cruising along at almost 70MPH......

My ears rang for a few days.

As an aside, this was an old(er) Orange box from the late '80's (if I had to guess). By the time it started cutting out, it had logged well over 100K miles and had been on at least 4 different cars.

Re: ECU died again - 10/20/10 03:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

logan426

Yes, the voltage regulator must be grounded. Also be sure to sand off the paint on its back side so it is metal-to-metal when titened down...

----

Do you mean to sand the firewall where the ECU/VR are mounted? I think I remember that the back of the ECU is just plain steel??

Re: ECU died again - 10/20/10 03:37 AM

Quote:

Do you mean to sand the firewall where the ECU/VR are mounted?

correct and using washers will let you sand less area for a nicer install & raising the ECU up w washers or mounted on a bracket greatly enhances the cooling/longevity of it
© 2024 Moparts Forums