10/13/10 08:53 PM
10/13/10 08:53 PM
Weatherford, Texas
RapidusMaximus Offline OP
top fuel
RapidusMaximus  Offline OP
top fuel

Weatherford, Texas
Looks like I may try repairing the quarter panel myself on my 68 GTX...I notice on AMD's website they list both a quarter panel and a quarter panel skin with a significant difference in price...never done a quarter panel so sorry for the dumb question but what's the difference in the two? I've repaired my own floor pans and trunk pans but this is a first, so I'm open to all tips and advice...

Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: RapidusMaximus] #829141
10/13/10 09:08 PM
10/13/10 09:08 PM
okla.
O
okie Offline
pro stock
okie  Offline
pro stock
O

okla.
I would use the full panel. When I done mine they didn't have them and the partial panels were a pain to work with. I know the full panels would look and fit better than the others. Ronnie

Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: RapidusMaximus] #829142
10/14/10 10:26 AM
10/14/10 10:26 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
The skin is best to be cut up as patch panels, but is the AMD skin their own or is it what has been on the market? The old skins aren't even remotely correct.

Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: JohnRR] #829143
10/14/10 10:38 AM
10/14/10 10:38 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
I've been told by a few body guys while the cost of a full 1/4 is a large upfront price to pay, it will require far fewer hours to install and will usually look better w/ less work, so in the end you will be spending less on the body work. If you are doing it yourself I'd think the extra cost of a full 1/4 would offset the PITA it is to hang and finish the skin.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: RapidusMaximus] #829144
10/14/10 11:31 AM
10/14/10 11:31 AM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario

The AMD skin is their full 1/4 cut down to sell as a skin...

both have uses, depends on you preference and skills at metal finishing... guys will use a skin to save factory bodylines, numbers etc... or for patching to preserve as much original metal as possible...
full 1/4's eliminate the need to metal finish seems and joints

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: smac77] #829145
10/14/10 12:10 PM
10/14/10 12:10 PM
Newfoundland
C
Crocker Offline
mopar
Crocker  Offline
mopar
C

Newfoundland
I just finished correcting some shoddy body work on the '70 barracuda, So I just replaced the passenger side rocker panel and the lower section of the quarter in front of the wheelwell and behind the door jamb . The Rocker was a AMD and the fit was excellent. I bought a non AMD quarter panel skin I got from Cross Canada auto body (no Idea who manufacturers it) and sectioned out the piece I needed for the quarter repair. It took 3 or 4 hours of messaging to make the 12"x12" repair piece perfect. I don't know what the wheel well flange is like on the AMD quarter panel but the skin I had was rough stamped and required alot of trimming/messaging
Glenn C

Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: Crocker] #829146
10/14/10 01:22 PM
10/14/10 01:22 PM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
It is always better to put the full panels on and weld and blend them in the factory locations. To put the skin on will require a 6 foot long weld seam to weld and blend. This seam could come back and crack or have issues with body filler shrinking after the car is painted. It's well worth the extra cost of doing the full panels now and not having any issues resurface later on your painted car. A new paint job will cost a lot more than the difference in price of the panels and labor. We had no choice than to use the skins before,that was all there was,and we were greatful to have then,now there is an alternative. AMD stepped up and made OEM style panels for us.

70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: chargervert] #829147
10/14/10 01:55 PM
10/14/10 01:55 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
Follow everyone's advice here and get the AMD full quarters. We are just finishing up putting Goodmark skins on my 67 Barracuda and wow, what a PITA. The Goodmark skins look good in the box but that is about it. I don't think those panels travel more than 8" without a wave in them to start with, the fit is terrible, and it turns out that they are actually just slightly too short. This doesn't even mention the fact that the body lines in no way come close to OEM. I am so glad I bought AMD full quarters for the Bee. The amount of time they will save will be well worth it. Unfortunately, AMD doesn't make full quarters for 67's.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: klunick] #829148
10/14/10 11:38 PM
10/14/10 11:38 PM
Weatherford, Texas
top fuel
top fuel

Weatherford, Texas
Wow...lots or really good advice and info guys, thanks. Looks like I will buy the full quarter...anys more tips, advice and lessons learned for the R&R of the full quarter for this this rookie?

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: RapidusMaximus] #829149
10/15/10 04:07 AM
10/15/10 04:07 AM
Milwaukee, WI
In_The_Pink Offline
master
In_The_Pink  Offline
master

Milwaukee, WI
Quote:

Wow...lots or really good advice and info guys, thanks. Looks like I will buy the full quarter...anys more tips, advice and lessons learned for the R&R of the full quarter for this this rookie?

Study the existing seams and joints before you start cutting them apart. Take pics if you won't be able to remember where three panels meet and how they butt or overlap, how they are welded, etc.

Take measurements from reference points that will not change when you cut off the original panel.

Spend the extra time carefully grinding and cutting away the old panel rather than cutting off too much to "save time"- you won't.

Don't throw away the pieces you remove until you're completely finished. They're a valuable reference tool when you can't remember how something is supposed to line up correctly.

Measure twice cut once is good advice, but plan on test fitting many, many times before you're ready to tack weld the quater panel in place.

Make sure the trunk lid, trunk hinges, etc.-- anything that fits in relation to the quarter panel-- are all ready to go when it's test fitting time. What might look like an even gap at first test fit may turn out to be uneven when the trunklid is adjusted later.

Follow your instincts- if the fit doesn't feel right or something just doesn't seem correct, don't just go ahead and weld it. Everything may not be 100% perfect, but a good fit goes a long way toward achieving the end result.

Let's not forget a full face mask and respirator when doing all that and either.

Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: Crocker] #829150
10/15/10 11:31 PM
10/15/10 11:31 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

I just finished correcting some shoddy body work on the '70 barracuda, So I just replaced the passenger side rocker panel and the lower section of the quarter in front of the wheelwell and behind the door jamb . The Rocker was a AMD and the fit was excellent. I bought a non AMD quarter panel skin I got from Cross Canada auto body (no Idea who manufacturers it) and sectioned out the piece I needed for the quarter repair. It took 3 or 4 hours of messaging to make the 12"x12" repair piece perfect. I don't know what the wheel well flange is like on the AMD quarter panel but the skin I had was rough stamped and required alot of trimming/messaging
Glenn C

I've bought those cross canada peices in the past when AMD wasn't available and they are still sitting on my shelf... Once I seen how shitty they were I just made my own.. I now use them to show the difference in quality of the two manufactures..

AMD Sheetmetal
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: In_The_Pink] #829151
10/15/10 11:36 PM
10/15/10 11:36 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

Quote:

Study the existing seams and joints before you start cutting them apart. Take pics if you won't be able to remember where three panels meet and how they butt or overlap, how they are welded, etc.

Take measurements from reference points that will not change when you cut off the original panel.

Spend the extra time carefully grinding and cutting away the old panel rather than cutting off too much to "save time"- you won't.

Don't throw away the pieces you remove until you're completely finished. They're a valuable reference tool when you can't remember how something is supposed to line up correctly.

Measure twice cut once is good advice, but plan on test fitting many, many times before you're ready to tack weld the quater panel in place.

Make sure the trunk lid, trunk hinges, etc.-- anything that fits in relation to the quarter panel-- are all ready to go when it's test fitting time. What might look like an even gap at first test fit may turn out to be uneven when the trunklid is adjusted later.

Follow your instincts- if the fit doesn't feel right or something just doesn't seem correct, don't just go ahead and weld it. Everything may not be 100% perfect, but a good fit goes a long way toward achieving the end result.

Let's not forget a full face mask and respirator when doing all that and either.

clean and zinc prime (weld through primer) everything behind the panel while you have it off

and do the work with the car on its wheels with the doors, hood and fenders still on the car and properly aligned to the old 1/4 before you cut it off...

AMD Sheetmetal
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: smac77] #829152
10/16/10 03:33 PM
10/16/10 03:33 PM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
I do agree with the full panel, but on my own cars I use to the skins to keep costs down. I do my own work and my time costs me nothing.

68 Road Runner, 69 Belvedere, 71 Challenger Vert
340 barracuda, 01 Ram CTD, 95 Ram, 04 Ram, 85 Daytona turbo Z
66 GTO, 06 Magnum RT AWD. 07 Ram CTD, 07 Ram
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: Silver70] #829153
10/17/10 09:09 PM
10/17/10 09:09 PM
eastern, pa.
C
cudabitten Offline
super stock
cudabitten  Offline
super stock
C

eastern, pa.
I just received the amd quarter skins both sides, outer wheel housings, drop offs,... I will be doing this with the car on stands. I'm not sure which way is better. Also, my fenders are already off but I think if the door is aligned ,that should be good enough. As far as weld thru primer, I tried using that stuff and had nothing but problems with the welds, ended up stripping it all off and going with shiny metal surfaces, then protecting after the weld. Could have been the way I was using it, but I just had much better welds without it. By the way, the amd sheet metal pieces were awesome. No scratches,dents, waves.. everything was packaged excellently.

Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: cudabitten] #829154
10/17/10 09:59 PM
10/17/10 09:59 PM
Weatherford, Texas
top fuel
top fuel

Weatherford, Texas
Thanks for all of the response guys... Had a friend of mine come over yesterday who's a retired high school autobody teacher and he also walked me through some helpful tips...and then said "good luck...better you than me, I'm retired"...

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: cudabitten] #829155
10/17/10 11:00 PM
10/17/10 11:00 PM
WI
RestoRick Offline
top fuel
RestoRick  Offline
top fuel

WI
Quote:

I just received the amd quarter skins both sides, outer wheel housings, drop offs,... I will be doing this with the car on stands. I'm not sure which way is better. Also, my fenders are already off but I think if the door is aligned ,that should be good enough. As far as weld thru primer, I tried using that stuff and had nothing but problems with the welds, ended up stripping it all off and going with shiny metal surfaces, then protecting after the weld. Could have been the way I was using it, but I just had much better welds without it. By the way, the amd sheet metal pieces were awesome. No scratches,dents, waves.. everything was packaged excellently.

Try the U-pol #2 weld-through primer... expensive at about $25/can, but it works excellent, no "spatterfest" welding.

Rick

Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: Silver70] #829156
10/17/10 11:40 PM
10/17/10 11:40 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

I do agree with the full panel, but on my own cars I use to the skins to keep costs down. I do my own work and my time costs me nothing.

I only agree with the full panel if the damage to the original 1/4 is extensive; otherwise I'd prefer to keep as much of the original panel as possible.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Quarter panel vs Quarter panel skin? [Re: RestoRick] #829157
10/18/10 11:36 PM
10/18/10 11:36 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

Quote:

Try the U-pol #2 weld-through primer... expensive at about $25/can, but it works excellent, no "spatterfest" welding.

Rick

Don't use the cheap stuff unless you enjoy hot bits of slag popping like crazy , blowing your panel apart, and sending moltem bits of metal running down the inside of your shirt or leg ! Another trick if you're plug welding is to zinc prime then just scratch the area in the hole up a bit to get contact for the welder, once you have melt and a bond acheived then the electrical connection improves... and make sure the panels are tight together or it's going to pop and sputter no mater what you do...

Last edited by smac77; 10/18/10 11:47 PM.

AMD Sheetmetal
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com