08/30/10 11:00 PM
08/30/10 11:00 PM
St. Louis Mo.
10 o to go Offline
"Happy Don"
10 o to go  Offline
"Happy Don"

St. Louis Mo.
i like it .WHAT bugs me is Gateway doesn't ever have anything in the dragster is it GIR PR people not sending it in or some other issue ?
Any other track not showing its stuff ?
GIR national event now in Texas .
DR

2009 418" build dan smith built new 9.96 131.82 6.23 108 1.30 60 foot best to date 9/15/09 8in 727 430 dana 2860 lb 3040 lb w driver
Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: 10 o to go] #788391
08/30/10 11:25 PM
08/30/10 11:25 PM
New Lenox IL
cudadon Offline
top fuel
cudadon  Offline
top fuel

New Lenox IL
Kevin, I would like to see more Route 2010 from Dan Fletcher. I am sure he is busy with family and sponsors, etc. But he is a good writer and a GREAT racer.
As others have said about more sportsman coverage, I know what a thrill it is to win a race and see your name and picture in National Dragster!
I know NHRA isn't perfect, But I feel safer at my home track, Route 66 in Joliet, than I do at most tracks!
If there is an oil down, when they are done cleaning it up I don't worry about running that lane!
Don

6168184-8-2-093ofus.jpg (46 downloads)
Last edited by cudadon; 08/31/10 11:47 AM.
Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: NDragster] #788392
08/31/10 10:51 AM
08/31/10 10:51 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

The short answer on the 2011 schedule is that the Las Vegas event could not follow Pomona due to the NASCAR event in Las Vegas. No question that going from Pomona to Gainesville to Las Vegas is not convienient, but there were virtually no other options.

While there are never any guarantees in regards to weather, it can get pretty cold (and wet) in Las Vegas in February.

While there may be some challenges geographically, next year's scheule appears much more "user friendly" than the 2010 version since we no longer have seven races in eight weeks during the summer and there are no more "four in a row" swings.

Also, other than possibly Don Schumacher, no one has more vehicles on the road than NHRA. When you count the Safety Safari, Tech, Registration and other support vehicles.

As for National Dragster, we're always seeking CONSTRUCTIVE input on how to make it better. We understand that people no longer turn to print publications to find out who won the race, so we have tried to improve in other areas.

In the last two years, we have gone to an all color format and includes numerous features that can't be found elsewhere.

Kevin McKenna
National Dragster

I eagerly await my weekly Dragster. I agree that it is better than ever. As for the NHRA bashers. My advice to you guys is to run somewhere else. If the NHRA sucks then get with the IHRA or some other junior league organization. You can't please all of the people all of the time. The NHRA does it's best to please as many as possible. And, you can be sure of this, without the NHRA drag racing as we know it would be greatly inferior.

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: cudadoug] #788393
08/31/10 01:47 PM
08/31/10 01:47 PM
El Dorado Ca
65signet Offline
mopar
65signet  Offline
mopar

El Dorado Ca
Quote:

Quote:

The short answer on the 2011 schedule is that the Las Vegas event could not follow Pomona due to the NASCAR event in Las Vegas. No question that going from Pomona to Gainesville to Las Vegas is not convienient, but there were virtually no other options.

While there are never any guarantees in regards to weather, it can get pretty cold (and wet) in Las Vegas in February.

While there may be some challenges geographically, next year's scheule appears much more "user friendly" than the 2010 version since we no longer have seven races in eight weeks during the summer and there are no more "four in a row" swings.

Also, other than possibly Don Schumacher, no one has more vehicles on the road than NHRA. When you count the Safety Safari, Tech, Registration and other support vehicles.

As for National Dragster, we're always seeking CONSTRUCTIVE input on how to make it better. We understand that people no longer turn to print publications to find out who won the race, so we have tried to improve in other areas.

In the last two years, we have gone to an all color format and includes numerous features that can't be found elsewhere.

Kevin McKenna
National Dragster

Kevin,

As I said it's better then ever with the color and the page texture. What I would like to see is just what Monte said, the "lessor" races incluing more bracket coverage. Those racers are the "backbone" of the sport, says NHRA. Also the Even Smith tech stuff is really good, just need more of it. Even if just expands on what the current technical trends are with the racers. Lastly, you can't beat the Featured Flyer deal. But go back to the 2 or 3 car coverage from various classes per event rather then just one.

1965 Plymouth Barracuda 273 M/SA
1970 Plymouth Duster 360/904 10.60s with J heads
Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: BobR] #788394
08/31/10 02:25 PM
08/31/10 02:25 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City

I eagerly await my weekly Dragster. I agree that it is better than ever. As for the NHRA bashers. My advice to you guys is to run somewhere else. If the NHRA sucks then get with the IHRA or some other junior league organization. You can't please all of the people all of the time. The NHRA does it's best to please as many as possible. And, you can be sure of this, without the NHRA drag racing as we know it would be greatly inferior.

Well, because of the NHRA the IHRA is my only choice in Salt Lake City. And I'm not saying our local track didn't help that situation to happen, but the NHRA did nothing to stop it. And I do like the Dragster and read it every week. But having raced with the IHRA the last couple of years, as well as with NHRA, IHRA seems to be much more Bracket and Sportsman friendly. And there is a lot wrong with the crap they have on the Pro racing coverage. It's obviously turning people off to our sport. When comments are made like "we have 2 winners, let them race in the finals" as was said in Seattle to the Pro Stock guys, it can be considered nothing more than pure arogance. Oh....and I'll race where the hell I want! Things at NHRA could and should be better!

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: BobR] #788395
08/31/10 08:06 PM
08/31/10 08:06 PM
pa
K
Kyle Reasbeck Offline
enthusiast
Kyle Reasbeck  Offline
enthusiast
K

pa
Quote:

As for the NHRA bashers. My advice to you guys is to run somewhere else.

Excellent business advice. This attitude sure shows how this venue will thrive and attract more cars and people. Unfortunately, this is also "seems" to be the view point of NHRA. Sure there are always some you just cannot please, but the car counts don't lie. They are racing somewhere else.

Quote:

And, you can be sure of this, without the NHRA drag racing as we know it would be greatly inferior.

And the God complex. You are right, it probably would be inferior. But people dont go racing to make sure the NHRA stays afloat as their motivation.

And Kevin, I also think National Dragster is better then ever, expecially this past issue

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: BobR] #788396
08/31/10 09:02 PM
08/31/10 09:02 PM
Emmett, Idaho
S
SuperStockWagon Offline
mopar
SuperStockWagon  Offline
mopar
S

Emmett, Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

Kevin McKenna
National Dragster

Well said BobR! Kevin,I for one look foward to my ND every week..and of course as a Stock/Superstock racer wish there was always more class racer features and coverage!

NHRA Stock/SuperStock Class Racing..Engineered Muscle In Motion!
Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: Kyle Reasbeck] #788397
08/31/10 09:47 PM
08/31/10 09:47 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
"And the God complex. You are right, it probably would be inferior. But people dont go racing to make sure the NHRA stays afloat as their motivation."

No but because of the NHRA there are modern, safe tracks. We don't run any NHRA exclusive events with our Outlaw car but we race at their tracks which are almost always higher quality, safer, better prepped than the non-NHRA sanctioned crap around. And we run by their chassis and other rules which means safer cars.

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: BobR] #788398
08/31/10 10:17 PM
08/31/10 10:17 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I really wish I could answer that question. I work for Mr. Norms Garage and we have been TRYING for the last two years to GIVE the NHRA money so we can display our wares at a couple of events but we cannot even get ONE return phone call! The GOD COMPLEX comment is spot on as far as I am concerned. I guess they believe they are the only game in town and if they decide they think it may be in thier best interest one day to communicate with us I guess we will be waiting with baited breath. At least the guys at the NHRA Museum get it and want us at thier events, I just wish the NHRA brass would listen to the guys who got them there...

Signed FRUSTRATED AS HE11!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: Rhinodart] #788399
08/31/10 11:59 PM
08/31/10 11:59 PM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
N
NDragster Offline
NDragster  Offline
N

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. A lot of interesting stuff here.

In random order;

I agree that Dan Fletcher's colums are some of the best stuff we run. The whole idea of him writing about his adventures came from a conversation we had many years ago when he was bemoaning his luck. I told him, you should write all this down. It would make a great story.
That was 1996 and who knew he'd still be at it.

Evan Smith is also a big asset to ND. His perspective is unique because he's not only a top knotch journalist, but also a die-hard sportsman racer (even if it's a Ford)

We also enjoy the Featured Flyers. It's nice to put the spotlight on some racers who might not otherwise get noticed. Sure enough, every one of them has an interesting story to tell. Incidently, we decided to feature one car per race this year so that we could go into more detail and use more photos. personally, I like the new format but I suppose it's possible that we could make some adjustments in the future.

Finally, while I enjoy all facets of working at ND, I hope it's obvious that my favorites are the sportsman racers. There was a time when I contemplated working in the Tech Department but decided to stick with ND. The major difference? When I pick up the phone, I (usually) get to talk with happy racers (ie national event winners).

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: BDS871Cuda] #788400
09/01/10 12:29 AM
09/01/10 12:29 AM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
It's obvious to me that the powers that be in Pomona don't have any original ideas for improving the current format. Witness the current FUBAR state of the race to 'whatever' they are calling it, with a final elimination points chase like basketball. If I wanted to watch basketball I would, but I don't. And the tired attempts to copy whatever NASCAR is doing. Witness the rise, and sudden demise, of Pro Stock Truck.

Instead, they have consolidated their 'big show' categories and have actively encouraged multi car teams, while in one fell swoop have killed the Nitro match race circuit and made their national event venues effectively the only place where we can see the likes of current top Nitro cars, by limiting test sessions.

And while it's sad that Scott Kalitta died, one racer's death should not have led to the shortening of the race track to 1000'. Instead, the engine combinations should have been changed to both reduce the cost and reduce the horsepower to slow the cars down, thereby attracting more potential cars in the field.

NHRA has become yet another faceless corporation playing to the lowest common denominator, in an attempt to attract Joe Lunchpail to tune in and watch the freak show.

And I really don't care WHAT they've done lately for the sport - any kudos I could heap on them were accomplished years ago. Now, they are just protecting their product and their cashflow.

So yeah, I will go somewhere else. Maybe once in a blue moon to see a points race, but I won't watch it on the tube nor spend money on National Events tickets.

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: Sixpak] #788401
09/01/10 10:41 AM
09/01/10 10:41 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
"And while it's sad that Scott Kalitta died, one racer's death should not have led to the shortening of the race track to 1000'. Instead, the engine combinations should have been changed to both reduce the cost and reduce the horsepower to slow the cars down, thereby attracting more potential cars in the field."

Apparently not that sad. Hey, it's only one death. What's that in comparison to your happiness? The insurace company wanted immediate action or they were going to drop coverage. There would have been NO RACING. It isn't quite as easy to detune fuel cars as you seem to think. What is your expertise in this arena BTW? You do know that there is a consortium of fuel racers and product suppliers that are working on this as we speak? Do you even race? What? My guess is that you are just another monday morning quarterback.

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: BobR] #788402
09/01/10 11:12 AM
09/01/10 11:12 AM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
Bob, I can't agree. I would have much rather seen them do what they should have done....slow 'em down. All they've done by going to 1000 foot is to postpone what they are going to have to do at some time anyway.

You can do it without costing anyone a lot of money....smaller blowers, limit the fuel pump size, take some amps out of the mags, go to single mags instead of doubles....all kinds of ways. You never know....making it easier might just bring some new blood into the fuel ranks. Check out the new HOT ROD with an indepth piece with Don Prudhomme....he says the same thing. And, HE does know fuel racing.

They can't even fill the fields anymore, and the same two or three guys own everything that shows up. What was once a great sport is now a PR marketed circus act....complete with vaudeville acts and basketball drill teams.

It is not the sport that I fell in love with when I first went to Indy in 1967. I realize it would not stay the same, but the yuppie "we wanna be like NASCAR" guys who run the show from Glendora have totally ruined it.

Regardless of how they market Indy, it has been relegated to just another stop on the tour, one of the other twenty some odd traveling circus shows. Gone are the days when a Gary Burgin or Marvin Graham could come out of nowhere and make themselves a household name over Labor Day weekend. The only attraction it has for me is the Hemi Challenge, that IS Indy to me. The rest of it is just another circus show.

Last edited by Steve1118; 09/01/10 11:30 AM.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: Steve1118] #788403
09/01/10 11:15 AM
09/01/10 11:15 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Bob, I can't agree. I would have much rather seen them do what they should have done....slow 'em down. All they've done by going to 1000 foot is to postpone what they are going to have to do at some time anyway.

You can do it without costing anyone a lot of money....smaller blowers, limit the fuel pump size, take some amps out of the mags, go to single mags instead of doubles....all kinds of ways. You never know....making it easier might just bring some new blood into the fuel ranks.

They can't even fill the fields anymore, and the same two or three guys own everything that shows up. What was once a great sport is now a PR marketed circus act....complete with vaudeville acts and basketball drill teams.

It is not the sport that I fell in love with when I first went to Indy in 1967. I realize it would not stay the same, but the yuppie "we wanna be like NASCAR" guys who run the show from Glendora have totally ruined it.

Regardless of how they market Indy, it has been relegated to just another stop on the tour, one of the other twenty some odd traveling circus shows. Gone are the days when a Gary Burgin or Marvin Graham could come out of nowhere and make themselves a household name over Labor Day weekend. The only attraction it has for me is the Hemi Challenge, that IS Indy to me. The rest of it is just another circus show.

I say put them on a 10.5 tire

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: Steve1118] #788404
09/01/10 12:29 PM
09/01/10 12:29 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

You can do it without costing anyone a lot of money....smaller blowers, limit the fuel pump size, take some amps out of the mags, go to single mags instead of doubles....all kinds of ways. You never know....making it easier might just bring some new blood into the fuel ranks. Check out the new HOT ROD with an indepth piece with Don Prudhomme....he says the same thing. And, HE does know fuel racing.

Yeah, what he said. Oh....and this is the "unlawfuls race only" section, so I would guess most of the people here race. There might even be a fuel guy or 2, but many racers in all classes. And the NHRA took the line of least resistance with the 1000ft thing. There are only 2 ways to a permanent fix, 1. lengthen the tracks in the shutdown area, 2. slow them down. These guys are already running 313mph at 1000 ft, just like the crew chiefs said they would. JMO

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: Steve1118] #788405
09/01/10 02:12 PM
09/01/10 02:12 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Every one of those "fixes" has a down side. There are 4 nitro drivers testing various methods(John Force is one of them)and there hasn't yet been determined a best one. Personally, as a fan, I would rather see a full power 1000' nitro run than a cut back 1/4 miler. What you said about cost may be true-or not. Highly funded teams always figure out an edge that the others have to ante-up for or be an also ran. Don Garlits had some interesting ideas on leveling the playing field. However, then you get NASCAR and cookie cutter vehicles. Is that what fans want?

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: Quicktree] #788406
09/01/10 02:13 PM
09/01/10 02:13 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Quote:

You can do it without costing anyone a lot of money....smaller blowers, limit the fuel pump size, take some amps out of the mags, go to single mags instead of doubles....all kinds of ways. You never know....making it easier might just bring some new blood into the fuel ranks.

I say put them on a 10.5 tire

Hey, we do it.

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: camastomcat] #788407
09/01/10 02:18 PM
09/01/10 02:18 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, what he said. Oh....and this is the "unlawfuls race only" section, so I would guess most of the people here race. There might even be a fuel guy or 2, but many racers in all classes. And the NHRA took the line of least resistance with the 1000ft thing. There are only 2 ways to a permanent fix, 1. lengthen the tracks in the shutdown area, 2. slow them down. These guys are already running 313mph at 1000 ft, just like the crew chiefs said they would. JMO

Some are running 320. There is still 320 feet more shutdown area and they were getting real close to 340 when they went to 1000'. As I stated, the insurance company wanted immediate action-hence the 1000'. The NHRA has since found that the majority of fueler fans sit as close to the starting line as possible and don't seem to care so...it's still 1000' at full power. There will eventually be a change IMO.

Re: What the H___ is wrong with the NHRA??????????? [Re: BobR] #788408
09/01/10 03:03 PM
09/01/10 03:03 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
As far as fuel racing goes...you have "cookie cutter" race cars now. There isn't a dime's worth of difference in them, except for the tune-up. Even the funny cars do not look like Detroit offerings anymore, they look like.....like....I don't know what they look like.

Here is what NHRA is missing. For every fuel racer, or even fuel fan, there is a hundred sportsman racers. Add local bracket racers, and it is probably 250-1. We are the guys who buy the Comp Cams, the Holley carbs, the tires, the converters and everything else NHRA relies on for support. I don't think anyone other than the fuel guys want to race 1000 feet, or are interested in "hospitality areas". We just want to do what a lot of us have been doing for a long, long, time.

Yet, all NHRA cares about is the John Force's and DSR's. That's OK, but they've thrown everyone else under the bus to cater to those guys. You say...."Well, they've got to 'grow' the sport". They've done a terrific job, eh? The TV coverage is on at what...2AM?? They've 'grown' the sport so well that instead of 54 T/F cars like entered Indy in 1979, they are lucky to get sixteen. Some "growth".

I've been involved in this deal since 1964. I attended every Indy from 1967 to 1992, and just did not like what I saw it becoming. I went to Maple Grove a year ago, and was ready to leave once I saw my Stocker and SS buddies run. There is absolutely no connection between the fuel guys and the rest of the sport.

Slow 'em down. You'll get more cars. Did you happen to notice that there were 34 Top Fuelers at Bakersfield March Meet this year? That should
tell them something.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4