Newark,De
H
hemi471 Offline
mopar
hemi471  Offline
mopar
H

Newark,De
Seems like a lot of money for a part that you can hardly see once the motor is together. I'll keep using the stock ones, they work just fine!

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: hemi471] #726987
06/21/10 11:13 PM
06/21/10 11:13 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I hardly think Andyf's cover is junk, but in all fairness, Andy must have bought a cover that wasn't up to his liking and set forth to make one to what he thought was the perfect cover. Now this guy buy's Andy's cover, makes a few changes, put's Andy's cover up for sale, and stated it was Andy's cover at a lower price [ oh, I sold that one but I got another that looks almost the same ] Kinda shady advertising in my book.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: rowin4] #726988
06/21/10 11:28 PM
06/21/10 11:28 PM
PA
W
w7smallblock Offline
enthusiast
w7smallblock  Offline
enthusiast
W

PA
Why all the crying over someone build or improving on something that already exits? Maybe because he's not a member or wasn't until recently. Then if this is wrong why don't everyone crying sell their world or keith black or what every block they have since they improved on something that already exits. Probably because its better and strong than what they had before.

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: w7smallblock] #726989
06/22/10 05:51 AM
06/22/10 05:51 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
We have no dog in this fight either,but unless Andy has the registered patant rights to his cover or any of his manufactured parts anyone can build,sale or claim the right to repop knockoffs as long as they don't claim or identify it as Andys'To prevail in a court challenge would be expensive and arguious.If it's not protected under patant infringment laws then he's shtz out of luck.

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: MR_P_BODY] #726990
06/22/10 06:03 AM
06/22/10 06:03 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

... (look at
the Chinese)they dont even reverse engineer it, they
just down right copy it

And do a pisspoor job of it in the process

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: JohnRR] #726991
06/22/10 08:57 AM
06/22/10 08:57 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
My brother once worked for a company that did this - reverse engineering then manufacturing. To add insult to injury they very often returned for refund the item they'd completely disassembled and reassembled!

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: Stanton] #726992
06/22/10 12:43 PM
06/22/10 12:43 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
You can't stop or control someone from making a product like or similar to your product,you can control how it is marketed or sold if you have secured the patant rights.If you have the rights,you can demand (through court action)royalities from the sales of such goods or products.I would be careful of statements made on the internet by all parties involved,they can come back and bite you in the azz later in a civil court action.Though I feel for Andy and his hard work,we find our self in a country based on free enterprize and free markets.If someone wants to make a product and it serves it's function and is more affordable then we all benifit.The more choises and the more competitive the market is benifits the consumer. Just look at a the mopar head choises we have now Same situation there. Just like it's just another head,it's just another timing cover.Some one else invented the cover,others just improved on it and will continue as long as there is a demand.Thanks to anyone who builds parts for Mopars and thanks for choises in parts and price.I'll stick with low cost Indys' and modify them however it suits and me and if I need anything better I'am going gear drive or belt drive.At $300 a cover I would spend a little more and get a lot more than a pretty cover.It's only a cover and not like your getting gears,chains, belts and hardware.Heck a $30 chrome cover will serve 80% of everyones needs.

Last edited by B G Racing; 06/22/10 12:55 PM.
Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: B G Racing] #726993
06/22/10 07:54 PM
06/22/10 07:54 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
I've got an ORIGINAL AndyF BB timing chain cover on my motor. Very satified with it and glad to purchase from another Moparts member.

And shouldn't a company called "cleveland speed" be making FERD parts

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: B G Racing] #726994
06/22/10 08:06 PM
06/22/10 08:06 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
Quote:

if I need anything better I'am going gear drive or belt drive.At $300 a cover I would spend a little more and get a lot more than a pretty cover.

my thought's exactly. by the time you pay for a nice timing set which may or may not include attaching hardware and/or thrust control then buy a billet cover you're getting close to the cost of a milodon gear drive

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: 71TA] #726995
06/22/10 08:16 PM
06/22/10 08:16 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
There's no question of the quality of Andys parts and his cost is not being questioned,just stating comments on the issues,the choises and my views.I'am not trying to influence anyones decision as to where to buy and how much to pay.Since the issue was brought to the site,then expect and respect others views or keep it off the site.There are other ways of communicating,phone,email,pm or etc.It's no ones business till it goes public,then everyone has the right to their views,good or bad.It'a all fun and games untill someone gets pissed off.

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: B G Racing] #726996
06/22/10 11:41 PM
06/22/10 11:41 PM
MD
HEMI472 Offline
super stock
HEMI472  Offline
super stock

MD
It's no ones business till it goes public,then everyone has the right to their views,good or bad.It'a all fun and games untill someone gets pissed off.

good advise everyone should read this.
but someone always gets pissed off.

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: HEMI472] #726997
06/23/10 01:24 AM
06/23/10 01:24 AM
St. Louis, MO
mopardamo Offline
pro stock
mopardamo  Offline
pro stock

St. Louis, MO
Hello,

Some of the comments are partially true. What I see blatantly missing in areas is ethics in this post and any other about this type of controversy. OH yea. Legally we can do this and that and avoid the legal wrongdoing. I think this is humanities undoing. What the heck does it have to do with right and wrong? Have we degraded ourselves to such low standards! That was rhetorical, I know the answer.

But it is ok to buy a part to SEPCIFICALLY COPY it because it is the best that is out there, call it less than desirable when we get caught because it fits our purpose, and then duplicate it with some changes to circumvent the legal implications. Then we can all say it is just our opinion and be legally correct. Just because it IS part of our system of government does not make it acceptable to be a THEIF FROM AN ETHICAL POINT OF VIEW. Where the hell is ethics in America? That is the core subject of this thread since it turned rough and no one has spoken a word about this root concern. If Americans would stand up for what is Just and Good without referring to the law and how they can circumvent an issue or how someone is correct because it is allowed by the law I think we Americans would benefit greatly. Dam’ it how did we get to such low places in our thinking.

Damon

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: mopardamo] #726998
06/23/10 01:58 AM
06/23/10 01:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

on my to-do list;
remember to get mad at all those H beam rod manufacturers for "stealing" the design, supposedly improving it, and then selling them to me.
remember to get mad at the manufacturers of cylinder heads like edelbrock, 440 source, pro comp etc. for all the same reasons.
remember to get mad at all the crankshaft manufacturers for,
awe heck, this post could get really long, but whose got the time...
i just don't see what all the fuss is about. somebody makes a timing cover and the world is coming to an end. does that mean that anybody that makes a billet timing cover is stealing somebody else's design, even though the only similarity is that it has an access plate and it's billit aluminum, even though the rest of the cover looks and is totally different?
looking at it from a different perspective, how many times have you purchased something and thought to yourself, "if i would have built it, i would have made it differently"?????

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: mopardamo] #726999
06/23/10 04:15 AM
06/23/10 04:15 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Hello,

Some of the comments are partially true. What I see blatantly missing in areas is ethics in this post and any other about this type of controversy. OH yea. Legally we can do this and that and avoid the legal wrongdoing. I think this is humanities undoing. What the heck does it have to do with right and wrong? Have we degraded ourselves to such low standards! That was rhetorical, I know the answer.

But it is ok to buy a part to SEPCIFICALLY COPY it because it is the best that is out there, call it less than desirable when we get caught because it fits our purpose, and then duplicate it with some changes to circumvent the legal implications. Then we can all say it is just our opinion and be legally correct. Just because it IS part of our system of government does not make it acceptable to be a THEIF FROM AN ETHICAL POINT OF VIEW. Where the hell is ethics in America? That is the core subject of this thread since it turned rough and no one has spoken a word about this root concern. If Americans would stand up for what is Just and Good without referring to the law and how they can circumvent an issue or how someone is correct because it is allowed by the law I think we Americans would benefit greatly. Dam’ it how did we get to such low places in our thinking.

Damon

Good gosh Gerty Lets not forget how our great country got started:lies,cheating,slavery,persicution,stealing from the native Americans,revolution and out right murder,just to name a few.That someone feels they got screwed by some one maybe we should hang them like we did horse thiefs.All this drama for what?It's the American way"competitive free market.If you want to be pissed at some one look at our great president who is screwing everyone of us,now that's a cause for revolution not a billit timing cover. I agree with Dram,"get over it" and move on.

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: B G Racing] #727000
08/24/10 02:11 PM
08/24/10 02:11 PM
Cookeville
Chilort Offline
Will Work For Mopars
Chilort  Offline
Will Work For Mopars

Cookeville
Thanks guys! I am using this thread (edit for language, grammar, etc.) in an intro to business class I am teaching to college sophomores and juniors about how free markets work.

I will say that these are some very good points and that we all don't see eye to eye is pretty neat when you look at it from an outside perspective. Some will feel a need to be super-vigilant-ethical while others will skirt by bending every law they can to maximize their own profits.

A chapter that quickly follows this discussion deals with business ethics but even there, there aren't any black and white answers. While the law maybe should be the absolute minimum requirement it doesn't help set what the standard "should" be. Let's also not forget that not all laws are just.

And patents are cool but they are a government controlled monopoly to help protect innovators for some short time but 1) getting a patent is expensive and 2) defending a patent is expensive. Patents are the opposite of free market but we sanction them here so that individuals will make the risky choice to try to develop new products. Without that protection then people are less likely to make that risky choice. But at a philosophical level, patents are anti-free market. How many of you ever thought you would openly admit to supporting anti-free market principles?

Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: mopardamo] #727001
08/24/10 03:30 PM
08/24/10 03:30 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

Where the hell is ethics in America?

I wouldn't even know where to begin...

BTW, I have purchased an AR Engineering billet timing cover since this debacle of a thread was started.

Last edited by Captain Budget!; 08/24/10 03:33 PM.
Re: new b/rb timing cover by clevland speed and machin [Re: BradH] #727002
08/24/10 05:47 PM
08/24/10 05:47 PM
ontario canada
mac56 Offline
super stock
mac56  Offline
super stock

ontario canada
Here it goes again

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3